Visitor Policy Update
Hospital Visitor Restrictions (updated July 20)
As positive COVID-19 cases continue to surge in the metro, the following visitor restriction policies have been put in place at all UnityPoint Health – Des Moines hospitals.
Effective Tuesday, July 21, 2020, visitors will no longer be allowed. One or two designated caregiver(s) will only be allowed in the following circumstances:
- A patient is imminently dying. Two caregivers will be allowed at a time; caregivers may rotate at the discretion of the clinical care team. Visitors under the age of 18 may be allowed in this case, at the discretion of the clinical care team.
- The patient is being treated in an Emergency Department (ED) / Trauma Service, outpatient clinic, and/or undergoing surgery will be allowed one designated caregiver.
- The patient is a minor under the age of 18 years. Two parents / designated care givers / guardian at a time will be allowed in the patient’s room to support care of the patient; designated care givers may rotate at the discretion of the clinical care team.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium. One designated caregiver will be allowed in the patient’s room to support the care of the patient.
- In maternity services (Labor & Delivery, Postpartum, OB ED, MTT), one designated caregiver / support person and 1 doula / outside birth coach will be allowed in the patient’s room to support the care of the mother.
Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
- Siblings under the age of 16 are not allowed.
- Must always remain in patient room as appropriate.
- Free from any signs of illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose).
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas (cafeterias will not be open to the public).
- Will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19. Designated caregivers must bring a mask to wear upon entering the hospital or clinic.
We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our hospitalized patients and staff.
Reminder, anyone entering the hospital will be required to wear a mask, per the universal UnityPoint Health masking policy.
Please be kind to our team members if they remind you of our policy. We want to keep everyone safe.