Mask / Face Covering Guidelines
As we move forward to transition into a new phase of delivering safe care alongside COVID-19, masking guidelines are aligned with local community transmission levels.
Levels may be Low/Moderate, Substantial or High.
Current COVID-19 community transmission level: HIGH
If you have an appointment or are visiting a patient at a UnityPoint Health location, please follow these guidelines.
- Masking is required at all UnityPoint Health facilities for patients, visitors and team members
- All visitors/support people must be in good health
- Anyone who has recently been exposed, is symptomatic or has tested positive for COVID-19 should not visit until they have met the CDC's guidance for discontinuation of isolation
Please note: If/when community levels change, we will appropriately amend the masking requirement.
Hospital Visitor Guidelines
- All visitors must be over the age of 12
- Ambulatory Surgery & MHU: 2 visitors per day allowed
- ICU & NICU: 4 visitors per day allowed
- There are no visitor restrictions for inpatients in departments not listed above
- Individual departments may have more specific guidelines based on their patient population (e.g. ICU, labor & delivery, NICU, MHU, pediatrics, hospice, etc.)
- Emergency Department: only 2 visitors allowed per patient
- Outpatient Services / Clinics: only 1 visitor allowed per patient; children may accompany parents
- Patients in isolation for COVID-19: no restrictions for inpatients; individual departments may have more specific guidelines
- Visitors must follow PPE instructions as per any isolation guidelines
- If personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies become an issue or overall COVID-19 patient levels change in a manner that is concerning, visits to patients in any type of isolation may be suspended
- Religious visitations by clergy, Eucharistic ministers and other faith-based leaders are allowed; these visitors will be subject to screening for illness upon entry, required to wear a mask and perform hand hygiene according to hospital policy
- Visiting hours: It is recommended that patients be visited between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. to assure they get needed rest; after 7 p.m., all visitors are asked to use the Emergency Department entrance (Entrance 4)
- Visitors are reminded to wash and sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting a patient's room
- Allen Hospital team members have the right to request individuals who do not meet restriction criteria to leave the premises
We appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. Our goal is to protect our patients, staff and the community.
Allen Hospital has closed entrances 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9 to the public.
- Entrance 2 will remain open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
- Emergency Entrance 4 will be open 24/7, as usual
- Entrance 8 will remain open Monday-Friday from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Clinic Visitor Guidelines
Please follow mask/face covering guidelines as described above.
For more ways to protect against the spread of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza, and for the latest updates and guidance in this rapidly evolving situation, please visit the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov or Iowa Department of Public Health at www.idph.iowa.gov.
Gift Shop Open
The Allen Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Universal masking and social distancing guidelines remain in place. Please follow masking guidelines provided upon entry to Allen Hospital.
Visitors may also call (319) 235-3880 during open hours to place an order or order anytime online and we will be happy to deliver to the patient.