Pain Management Services
At UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown, we take time to listen to and understand your individual reports of discomfort and concerns. Whether you suffer from temporary pain due to illness or injury, chronic cancer-related pain or end-of-life pain, we are here to help you. Our program is built around believing the patient's report of pain and focusing on the potential benefits of adequate pain management.
You can work with your nurses and doctors before and after surgery to prevent and alleviate pain. Pain control can help you improve your level of comfort, reduce your length of hospital stay, and achieve greater results.
What is Pain Management?
Your goal of pain management should be to completely relieve or minimize the pain to an acceptable level.
- Pain Creates Anxiety. This makes muscles tense up. Tension and anxiety can increase pain and make it hard to sleep.
- Fatigue Sets In. This can drain a person's strength and lead to depression, which can worsen physical pain.
- The Cycle Begins Again. As pain increases, so does anxiety. With each trip around the pain cycle, pain, anxiety and depression become more intense.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities for Pain Management
- Patients have a right to pain control.
- Patients have a role in communicating their pain.
- Patients should talk to their physicians or nurses as soon as pain begins.
- Patients should not let fears keep them in pain.
- Patients are involved in all aspects of their care.
- Patients have the right to appropriate assessment and management of pain.
- Patients will receive a written statement of his/her rights.