Residents are selected through through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®), a program of the Association of American Medical Colleges. Applications to our residency programs are only accepted through ERAS.
Our selection process is based upon multiple factors, including general academic performance, clinical performance, letters of recommendation, personal qualities and achievements. The general surgery residency program at Iowa Methodist Medical Center accepts applications from all interested medical students.
Deadline and Documentation
General Surgery Residency Program accepts applications from September through December.
The selection committee reviews all material and interviews a select group of qualified applicants to fill the 4 categorical and 2 preliminary positions. The interview season typically begins in Mid-November and concludes Mid-January.
- Three letters of recommendation from U.S. physicians and at least two from surgeons
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement
- Results of standardized tests: USMLE; and all in-service exams
- Pass Step 1&2 on the first attempt and a score of 200 or greater
- If from a non-US/Canadian school
- All applicants must match within 2 years of graduating from medical school
- Must have one year of clinical experience in the U.S.
- We will accept J1 Visa only
Applications are reviewed after all the required information has been received. Individual exceptions may be made based on the strength of application after review by the Program Director.
Personal interviews are by invitation only and are held on the following dates for the 2019-20 academic year.
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Monday, December 10, 2018
Thursday, December 13, 2018
Friday, January 4, 2019
Thursday, January 10, 2019
Upon confirming your appointment for interview, we will send you a letter of confirmation regarding the interview process. The evening before the interview day, we will host a dinner with several of our residents at a restaurant near the hospital. This will give you the opportunity to see the downtown Des Moines area and visit with our residents in an informal and casual atmosphere.
A typical interview day:
- Begins at 9:30am with an one hour introduction to our program with program director and coordinator
- Interviews with faculty and senior residents
- Luncheon with residents and a tour of our facility.
- Brief closing session with the Program Director and Coordinator
We do schedule a Saturday for interviews and that day will begin at 9:00 am and conclude no later than 2:00 pm.
A select few interview days are scheduled on Thursdays and on those days we will begin at 7:00 a.m., with M&M Conference, 8:00 a.m. Grand Rounds, a tour of the facility, then the typical interview day schedule will follow.
Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have about our program.