Job Shadowing at Grinnell Regional Medical Center
Thank you for your interest in a job shadow experience with UnityPoint Health - Grinnell! We are committed to providing educational opportunities for individuals interested in healthcare careers, whether they are clinical or non-clinical in nature. We want to help you gain useful information as to the types of skills and education required for rewarding and successful careers in healthcare. Our Job Shadow Program is geared toward students or individuals who are considering a career in healthcare. Job Shadows are not clinical rotations and will not meet the requirements for programs that require clinical contact hours or internship hours, nor will it fulfill the requirement for volunteer or community.
We understand the value and importance of interviewing a healthcare professional or participating in an observation experience as part of the career exploration process. Experiences include virtual interviews, in-person interviews and in-person observations. In-person observations will not provide hands-on patient care.
*Parent/guardian consent to participate in any experience is required of all participants younger than 18 years of age.
Choose Your Experience
- 30 minutes maximum. Open to those 14* years of age and older.
- The virtual interview consists of a team member in the department you selected.
- During this interview, you can ask questions regarding job functions and other responsibilities.
- 30 minutes maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
- The in-person interview consists of a team member in the department you selected.
- This interview will be face-to-face in the designated location.
- During this interview, you can ask questions regarding job functions and responsibilities.
- 8 hours maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
- Additional time is contingent on the individual's needs and area of interest. Approval is at the discretion of the healthcare host.
- In-person observations consist of a designated team member showing various day-to-day job responsibilities in the area of your choice.
Those interested in a virtual interview, in-person interview or in-person observation must:
- Complete the fillable application. The application requires a parent/guardian to electronically sign and provide consent. The application also requires your electronic signature on a consent and release from liability form.
- For in-person observations, upload an acceptable copy of your immunizations and email them to the department you are interested in observing. We require proof of immunizations, including your annual influenza (flu) vaccine and a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine. You must have a full dose of your initial COVID-19 vaccine (boosters are not required). An acceptable copy of your vaccinations includes electronic health record documents showing the vaccine documentation and date administered, or a vaccination card with dose and dates administered.
- Email the completed application and required documentation. For shadowing with a healthcare provider (i.e., MD, DO, ARNP, PA), email Alexandra.Smolik@unitypoint.org. For shadowing with a non-provider (i.e. nursing, therapy, radiology, etc.), email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review the Self-Guided Orientation
Application must be completed in full, and documents received at least two (2) weeks prior to scheduled experience to be considered for participation in the Career Shadow Program. If these documents are not received, your application will be closed without notification.
All participants must comply with rules designed to protect patient privacy.
- Participants will not access any patient medical records or proprietary business information.
- Protected Health Information (PHI) includes patient name, names of relatives, patient address, photos, email address, phone number, or other information that can be used to identify an individual.
- The participant will not share patient information from their experiences with anyone.
- Patient information will not be released via social media or any other electronic or personal communication medium by the participant.
- No patient care is allowed.
- Participants may not take photos of patients, procedures or the UPHDM facilities.
- Patients trust us with their healthcare information. Participants are required to maintain strict confidentiality and privacy about patient information.
- Participants with known exposure to a contagious agent, who have active colds or infections or who do not feel well, may not observe.
- Participants will be asked to leave if the Healthcare Host believes the participant presents a risk to the staff or patients.
- Keeping our patients, visitors, guests, staff and providers safe is a primary safety goal in all UnityPoint Health - Grinnell facilities.
- Mandatory PPE will be enforced by the Healthcare Hosts where and when appropriate.
- All participants will be notified if this specific safety matter is in place during the participant's experience.
- Different PPE may be required in different areas of the hospital and hospital properties.
- PPE examples include but are not limited to facial masking, handwashing, ear plugs, non-slip shoes, etc.
- Participants will be required to demonstrate appropriate application and utilization of the PPE associated with the area they are visiting.
- Discussion and application of the site appropriate PPE will be done with their Healthcare Host upon arrival at their experience.
- UnityPoint Health - Grinnell reserves the right to open, cancel or close any or all interview or in-person experiences at its discretion.
- All participants must be accompanied by their Healthcare Host at all times during their experience.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices will be silenced or turned off during the experience.
- Sending and receiving text messages or phone calls at any time other than break time is disruptive and disrespectful.
- Appropriate language will be maintained during the experience.
- The use of tobacco products and vaping is not allowed anywhere on UnityPoint Health - Grinnell facility campuses and property.
- No gum chewing, food or drink during your experience - unless accompanied by the Healthcare Host over a break or mealtime.
- Participants will comply with all appropriate policies and procedures of the clinical area(s) where the experience is held.
- Participants must dress professionally with closed-toe shoes.
- No perfume or cologne. Long hair pulled back and secured. Clothing must be clean. Jewelry must be conservative. No jeans, shorts, sweatshirts, T-shirts, tank tops or ball caps. No sandals, flip flops or high heels. Socks must be worn.
- Participants that are dressed inappropriately will be asked to reschedule their experience.
- Participants will be required to wear a temporary UnityPoint Health - Grinnell I.D. badge at all times during the experience. It will be issued to the participant at the beginning of their scheduled experience.