Job Shadowing at Allen Hospital & Marshalltown Hospital
Job Shadow Program Overview
Thank you for your interest in participating in a job shadow at UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital or UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown.
We’re committed to providing educational opportunities for individuals interested in healthcare careers, whether clinical or non-clinical in nature. Our Job Shadow Program is for students or individuals considering a career change or exploration.
Job shadows are not clinical rotations and don't meet the requirements for programs that require clinical contact hours or internship hours, nor do they fulfill the requirement for volunteer or community service hours.
We understand the value of interviewing or observing a healthcare professional as part of your career exploration process. We want to help provide you with useful information about the skills and education required for a career in health care.
Experiences include virtual interviews, in-person interviews and in-person observations. In-person observations don’t include hands-on patient care.
*Parent/guardian consent is required to participate in any experience for participants younger than 18 years of age.
Choose Your Experience
- One hour maximum. Open to those 14* years of age and older.
- The virtual interview consists of a team member in the department you selected.
- During this interview, you can ask questions regarding job functions and other responsibilities.
- One hour maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
- The in-person interview consists of a team member in the department you selected.
- This interview will be face-to-face in the designated location.
- During this interview, you can ask questions regarding job functions and responsibilities.
- 8 hours maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
- Additional time is contingent on the individual's needs and area of interest. Approval is at the discretion of the healthcare host.
- In-person observations consist of a designated team member showing various day-to-day job responsibilities in the area of your choice.
Complete the Application
The application requires your electronic signature on a consent and release from liability form and a parent/guardian to electronically sign and provide consent.Complete the online application
We require both a copy of your annual influenza (flu) vaccine, and a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine. You must have a full dose of your initial COVID-19 vaccine (boosters are not required). An acceptable copy of your vaccinations includes electronic health record documents showing the vaccine documentation and date administered, or a vaccination card with dose and dates administered. Please send proof of immunizations to the email below.UPH_WJobShadow@unitypoint.org
Review Self-Guided Orientation
All documents must be received as part of your application to participate and must be received at least two weeks prior to your scheduled experience. If these documents are not received, your application will be closed without notification.Self-Guided Orientation
- Park in the visitor parking lot.
- A light meal is suggested before you begin your experience. Please let your healthcare host know immediately if you feel dizzy or nauseated. Cafeteria and vending machines are available. Only cards are accepted (please do not bring cash).
- Leave valuables at home or locked in a non-visible area of your vehicle. UnityPoint Health is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Ask questions! We want this to be a learning experience for you.