Meriter Hospital Volunteer Services
Volunteers play a key role in enhancing the patient and visitor experience at UnityPoint Health – Meriter hospital. If giving back to our community in a healthcare setting interests you, we may have just the opportunity!
How to Become a Volunteer
The volunteer on-boarding process involves the following five steps which must be completed in the order below. If you have any questions during this process, don't hesitate to reach out to a member of our team. Before getting started, please take a moment to review our volunteer requirements which help to ensure the health and safety of our patients:
- Must be at least 14 years of age
- Be able to commit to a 2-4 hour weekly shift for minimum of 6 consecutive months or 2 semesters
- Complete a health screening and pass a criminal background check.
- Keep annual requirements up-to-date which includes attending the Flu/TB clinics and updating your annual education every Fall
The first step in the process is to review our open roles and fill out the online application if interests and availability align.
Once we have reviewed your application, we will reach out to schedule a pre-placement interview to learn more about your interests and skillsets and discuss placements that are relevant to your availability. We will also run a criminal background check.
When your volunteer placement has been determined, you will need to set up a health screening appointment with Employee Health Services.
- Complete a 2-step TB skin test.
- Show proof of immunity against Rubella, Measles, Mumps, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis, as well as proof of the COVID-19 vaccine and flu shot.
You will need to complete two online training modules for volunteer orientation. Once cleared by EHS, you’ll be invited to attend a Final Check Step to meet our team in person, get a badge made, receive a polo and a tour and instructions on how to set up any required unit training or shadow shifts.