UnityPoint Health - Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Today's Hours: Open 24 hours
Iowa Methodist Medical Center, a service of UnityPoint Health - Des Moines, strives to provide each patient and family member with education, support, and outstanding medical care, from your first visit to your discharge home. Established in 1901 in a single building, Iowa Methodist has become an important regional medical center and teaching hospital.
- Our cardiac care team performs hundreds of open-heart surgeries each year, as well as other important procedures to correct valvular and coronary diseases. Iowa Methodist performed the first open-heart procedure outside of the Mayo Clinic in 1956 and continues to deliver superb cardiology and vascular care. We offer a complete cardiac care program to diagnose, treat and manage heart problems.
- Blank Children’s Hospital is completely dedicated to meeting the unique health care needs of children and their families. Blank Children’s Hospital provides a comprehensive array of medical care services, family support services and community health and outreach programs. It embraces a family-centered care philosophy where families are recognized as the most important part of a child’s healing process.
- The John Stoddard Cancer Center and Iowa Methodist are well known throughout the Midwest for cancer care. In 1956, it opened Des Moines' first radiation therapy department. In 1993, the John Stoddard Cancer Center became the first in Central Iowa to house all radiation, oncology and ancillary services in one convenient location for patients and families.
- Iowa Methodist is one of two Level I Trauma Centers in the State of Iowa. Life Flight, the air ambulance program for Iowa Methodist, began in 1979 and continues to fly hundreds of vital missions per year.
- Younker Rehabilitation Center is the largest, most comprehensive physical rehabilitation program in Central Iowa, providing a wide range of inpatient and outpatient care.
- The Maternity Center at Iowa Methodist gives new mothers the ability to labor, deliver, recover and have care after birth in one spacious room. We are proud to welcome more babies than any other hospital in Iowa.
- Medical Education has always played an important role at Iowa Methodist. The hospital established its highly regarded School of Nursing in 1901, which trained generations of nurses in Iowa until 1999. Many of its graduates served in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps during World War II. After the war, Iowa Methodist developed medical residency programs for training new doctors in pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, surgery, podiatry and psychiatry in partnership with Broadlawns Medical Center.
- Our Corporate and Community Wellness Services is dedicated to helping area businesses improve the overall health status of their employee
Hours of Operation
- Monday: Open 24 hours
- Tuesday: Open 24 hours
- Wednesday: Open 24 hours
- Thursday: Open 24 hours
- Friday: Open 24 hours
- Saturday: Open 24 hours
- Sunday: Open 24 hours
Services Offered at Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Corporate and Community Wellness
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Wellness Services is your prevention partner in identifying and evaluating your employees' health status through a variety of different programs, including our Health Risk Assessment and wellness screenings. Our experienced staff makes your wellness program easy and convenient. We will work within your budget to assemble a wellness program that can maximize benefits for your company.
Our mission of "improving the health of our communities through healing, caring and teaching" guides us as we provide wellness services that benefit your employees and their family members.
To find out more about our program, contact Della Guzman at Della.Guzman@unitypoint.org or call (515) 241-6911.
Health Screenings and Health Risk Assessment
- Online health status questionnaire
- Online interactive portal with comprehensive wellness tools and medical information
- Blood pressure
- Waist circumference measurement
- Body composition analysis: weight, body mass index, body fat percentage and basal metabolic rate
- Blood profile: finger stick method (5 components lipids + glucose) or venipuncture method (29 blood and lipid components)
- Aggregate and trend reports for employer
- Group consultation with an on-site comprehensive review of HRA elements, general recommendations to address health risks and a one-on-one Q&A session
Additional Reporting Services
- Flexible biometric upload to third party Health Risk Assessment vendor
- Productivity and Economic report
- Metabolic Syndrome report
Additional corporate wellness services include:
- Blood Services
- Education Programs: Wellness Comes to U
- Nicotine Screenings
- On-site First Aid /CPR/AED Training
- Health Coaching
- Certified on-site Nutritional Specialists
- Flu shots Occupational Medicine
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines sponsors seven residency programs approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME):
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Transitional Year
- Emergency Medicine
The Human Subjects Protections Program has been accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protections Programs (AAHRPP)