Iowa Methodist Maternity Center
Congratulations on your pregnancy! At our maternity center, you will find experienced and caring physicians, midwives, nurses and support staff who will help you welcome the newest member of your family. We believe in a family-centered approach to maternity care. Our team is here to respond to your needs with the highest level of skill, professionalism and compassion.
Supporting you during each stage of your labor, delivery and recovery.
Preparing for Your Baby
Whether you are pregnant with your first baby or expecting your fourth, we are here to care for you throughout your pregnancy, delivery and after your baby's birth. The following information is meant to give you a good overview of what to expect during pregnancy and some of the things you should be thinking about.
Our experienced nursing staff works closely with the physicians and midwives to provide you with the high quality and personalized care you and your family deserve.
Who delivers at Iowa Methodist Medical Center?
The following UnityPoint Clinic locations deliver downtown, along with our partners at The Iowa Clinic.
- OB/GYN - Ankeny
- OB/GYN - Clive
- OB/GYN - Lakeview
- OB/GYN - Methodist Plaza
- OB/GYN - Waukee
- Midwife Services
Talk to an OB provider at one of the locations above to see if Iowa Methodist may be the option for you.
Becoming a new parent is an exciting time. We offer a number of birth and baby care classes to help you prepare for this new adventure. Learn about what to expect during delivery, tips on comfort measures during childbirth, prepare yourself for breastfeeding, learn how to bathe your baby and so much more!
Planning for a baby can be one of the most exciting times of your life, but also one of the most demanding times. Pondering names, redesigning spaces in your home, and getting all of the equipment an infant needs are just a few of the things that will consume many hours during pregnancy. Choosing the right health care provider should be included on your list of things to do before your baby is born.
Virtual Maternity Center Tour
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are some of the commonly asked questions our maternity center receives.
Positioning devices to use during labor includes but is not limited to:
- Birthing balls
- Peanut balls
- CUB pillows
- Birthing chair
- Squat bar
- Mirrors and more
Please let your nurse know upon arrival that you would like to use a positioning device.
If you've been scheduled to deliver via C-section, here is some helpful information to review in advance.
Si se le ha programado una cesárea, aquí hay información para repasar de antemano.
It is not recommended that most store-bought breast pumps be shared. By sharing a breast pump, the risk of infection and contamination is increased. If a mother chooses to use a previously owned pump, it is recommended to replace all parts including tubing.
It would be best to look at the manufacturer's guidelines and manual to see if it is a closed or open system. Some pumps do not have a closed system and milk can get into the motor. If the Hepatitis B virus is in the milk of the previous owner, it can dry within the motor. When the pump is used again it can reactivate the virus.
Note: Hospital grade rental pumps purchased from UnityPoint at Home have a closed system, allowing them to be used more than once.
Delivering Your Baby
Be sure to ask your health care provider if there are any special arrival instructions for you to follow.
- Park in the parking lot off of Woodland Avenue on the south side of the hospital.
- Enter the hospital through the Powell entrance (look for the blue awning).
- You will check in and be assessed in the Maternity Triage located just inside the Powell entrance.
The safety and security of you and your baby during your stay at the hospital is very important to us. In order to protect the safety of our patients, we are not able to give specific details about our security system, but rest assured knowing that we have put a number of measures in place to keep you both safe. The following are a few things that you and your family can do to help keep safety a priority.
- All hospital employees wear unique photo ID badges that show their name and title. Do not let anyone take your baby unless they have a hospital ID badge with their name, title and picture on it.
- If you are not sure about someone who wants to take your baby, call your nurse or ask to accompany your baby.
- Never leave your baby alone. If you go to the bathroom, take your baby with you in the bassinet or leave your baby with someone you trust.
- For safety and security reasons, please keep your baby in the bassinet when transporting your baby outside of your room.
- Newspaper Announcements - The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children discourages hospitals and parents from publishing birth announcements in local newspapers because a small number of infant abductions have been linked to those announcements. So to protect our patients' privacy and safety, UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Iowa Methodist Medical Center does not submit birth announcements to area newspapers.
The decision to breastfeed is a personal one. Breastfeeding provides numerous benefits for you and your baby - and is a beautiful and natural way to bond. Our qualified Lactation Services staff is here to provide extensive breastfeeding and education support. If you have any questions, please contact one of our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) by calling (515) 241-6570. Please leave a message if your call is not answered, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Find an OB/GYN or Midwife
Our maternity center works closely with physicians and midwives to provide you with the high quality and personalized care you and your family deserve.
We would be happy to send you a booklet with important information on our services, including birth and baby care classes.
Birth & Baby Care Classes
Becoming a new parent is an exciting time. We offer a number of birth and baby care classes to help you prepare for this new adventure.