Allen Hospital's PGY-1 Residency program is an American Society of Health-System Pharmacists accredited site recruiting for three pharmacy resident positions.
Allen Hospital is a 204-bed JCAHO- accredited institution. As a member of UnityPoint Health, it is among the top healthcare systems in the nation. The ranking is based on clinical quality and efficiency, according to results of Thomson Reuter's 100 Top Hospitals: Health System Benchmarks Study. All health systems in the United States with two or more short-term, general, non-federal hospitals - a total of 255 - were assessed for the annual study. See more about our many locally and nationally recognized awards and recognition.
The hospital features an electronic medical record and bedside barcode scanning with computerized physician order entry. The Department of Pharmacy has extensive automation, technology, and a state-of-the-art IV clean room. The pharmacy provides 24 hour service to inpatients at Allen and also to four additional affiliates, and third-shift service for multiple affiliates across the state. In addition Allen offers outpatient services through a retail pharmacy, two anticoagulation clinics, community cancer center and an ambulatory surgery center support pharmacy. The pharmacy acts as a training site for the experiential education of introductory and advanced practice experience pharmacy students from University of Iowa College of Pharmacy and advanced practice experience students from Creighton University College of Pharmacy.
The residents participating in our 12 month residency will be accountable for optimizing drug therapy and achieving the best outcome for every patient, every time as a member of the inpatient healthcare team. The residents will provide drug information and education to patients, other healthcare professionals, and students. In addition, the residents will become proficient in developing habits to be a life-long learner, monitoring his or her own skills, and embracing a commitment to the profession and the community we serve.
Our residency program is designed to develop practitioner excellence in the provision of patient-specific, evidence based care and will focus on the development of knowledge and skills needed to become a competent and confident practitioner. Graduates of this program will be prepared to:
- Manage and improve the medication-use process.
- Provide evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams.
- Exercise leadership and practice management skills.
- Demonstrate project management skills.
- Provide medication and practice-related education/training.
- Utilize medical informatics.
Pharmacy Clinical Services
- 24-Hour Pharmacy Coverage for 7 UnityPoint Health Facilities
- Ambulatory Surgery Pharmacy
- Antibiotic Dosing Service & Stewardship Program
- Automated Dispensing Machines
- Epic CPOE
- ICU Multidisciplinary Rounding
- Inpatient Warfarin Dosing Service
- Inpatient Insulin Dosing Service
- IV Admixture / TPN / Chemotherapy
- Pharmacy Driven Medication Reconciliation
- Outpatient Anticoagulation Clinics
- Dedicated Emergency Department Pharmacist
- Patient Support Groups / Education
- Pharmacy Students / Residents
- Renal Function Monitoring
- Retail Pharmacy
- Tech-Check-Tech Program
UnityPoint Health – Prairie Parkway offers a full range of services with a focus on primary care, including: OB/GYN; pediatrics; family medicine; internal medicine; endocrinology; urgent care; lab; radiology; occupational, physical, and speech therapy; behavioral health services; LGTBQ clinic; retail and drive-through pharmacy; and rotating specialties.
Pharmacy Services Provided
- Medication therapy management (MTM)
- Immunizations (on and off site)
- Disease state education and management through pharmacy and clinic sites
- Unique opportunities with affiliated hospitals and clinics (LGBTQ, anticoagulation, diabetes & endocrinology, etc.)
- Discharge medication review
- Management opportunities
- Partnership with a local free medical clinic