For Prospective Residents
Blank Children's is the perfect sized hospital to train residents - large enough to offer a diverse patient population and a variety of sub-specialties, but small enough that all residents get to know faculty within a short time of joining the program.
Our program has a friendly atmosphere, and the faculty is dedicated to teaching while providing one-on-one attention.
There are no fellowship trainees at Blank Children's, so residents receive a lot of autonomy and are responsible for managing their own patients. Additionally, residents get exposure to many procedural opportunities.
There are 7 categorical positions offered each year. Approximately 2/3 of our residents enter a career in general pediatrics with about 1/3 of our graduates choosing subspecialties fellowships. Graduates say Blank has prepared them well for fellowship training and many who have sought fellowships obtained positions in excellent, competitive programs.
Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Application Service (ERAS®), a program of the Association of American Medical Colleges. Applications are reviewed from September 15th to early December.
Our selection process is based upon multiple factors, including general academic performance, clinical performance, letters of recommendation, personal qualities and achievements. Interviews will be conducted from mid-October to mid-January.
- Passing scores on USMLE Step 1 and Step 2; COMLEX Step 1 and Step 2
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Dean’s Letter
- Medical School Transcript
- Personal Statement justifying why you would be a good candidate for the Blank Children’s Pediatric Residency Program
- Medical school graduation date within the last 5 years
- We do not require a “Chairman’s Letter”
Additional Information for International Medical Graduates:
- UnityPoint Health sponsors the J1 visa
- Previous US clinical experience is strongly preferred