Iowa Lutheran Family Medicine Residency Program selects its
residents through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®), a
program of the Association of American Medical Colleges. Applications
to our residency programs are only accepted through ERAS.
To be considered eligible for application to the Iowa Lutheran
Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program, the candidate must meet all
academic criteria established below. The program director has the
prerogative of presenting an applicant who would not otherwise be
eligible but whose qualifications are felt to merit consideration.
Criteria of ACGME
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs:
- Graduate of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduate of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduate of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Have a full unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME accredited medical school.
Criteria for Resident Licensure in the State of Iowa
Must have a notarized photocopy of a diploma issued by a school or college
of medicine and surgery or a school or college of osteopathic medicine
and surgery approved by the board, or present other evidence of
equivalent medical education approved by the board. The board may
accept, in lieu of a diploma from an approved school or college of
medicine, all of the following:
- A notarized photocopy of a diploma issued by a school or college of medicine which has been neither approved or disapproved by the board.
- The standard certificate issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates or the completion of a fifth pathway program in accordance with criteria established by the American Medical Association.
Criteria for Iowa Lutheran Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program. Must meet all of the following:
- Completed medical school training within the past two years OR
- Been in training in an accredited internship or residency program within the past two years.
- Must have received passing scores on USMLE Step 1 and be eligible for Step 2 exam OR NBOME.
- Must be fluent in written and verbal English.
The selection committee reviews all material and interviews a select group of qualified applicants. Interviews to fill the available positions will be conducted starting in October.