St. Luke's Job Shadow Program
Thank you for your interest in a job shadowing experience with St. Luke's. We understand the value and importance of job shadowing as part of the career exploration process and helping you gain useful information as to the types of skills and education required for careers within the medical industry.
High School Students:
- Pre-medical, Pre-PA or Pre-ARNP students: job shadows are not available until you have been accepted into medical or advance practice provider program.
- Please contact Becky Wood at Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding job shadowing a provider.
- Nursing job shadows are only available through Workplace Learning Connection. Interested students should call the main office at 319-398-1040.
- For all other interests, please complete the application and submit to email on the right.
- Emergency department job shadows are not available for high school students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Self Study Orientation
Available Job Shadows
St. Luke's Hospital Job Shadow Process
In order to make job shadowing a valuable and meaningful learning experience, please read the following information:
- In order to apply for a Job Shadow experience you must complete the following steps.
a. Download, save, complete and email a Job Shadow Application
Application for PC users- Adobe pdf file (save and e-mail)
Application for Apple/MAC users- Microsoft Word document (save and e-mail)
b. Review the Self-Study Orientation packet.
c. Contact information for available job shadows is listed under the "Available Job Shadow & Contacts" tab. Please e-mail your completed application to the appropriate contact
d. Upon review of your application, you will be contacted
****A minimum of two weeks' notice is required prior to actual placement.
- Job shadows are unpaid, observational hours only and will not provide hands-on experience. This usually involves students in high school or college, but we also will consider requests from individuals that are considering a career change. You will be paired with a job shadow mentor and must remain with them throughout the job shadow experience. Your mentor will be able to answer questions about a typical day, education and skill requirements, and generally what the position involves.
- Students must be at least a junior in high school in order to job shadow. If students are under the age of 18, they must also have a parent or legal guardian sign their application. Appropriate accident and liability insurance is the responsibility of the job shadow participant and/or parent or legal guardian.
- Applicants should not have been convicted of any crime, i.e. theft, acts of violence, child/adult abuse, that would eliminate them from being a job shadow participant at St. Luke's.
- Job shadows will normally be scheduled between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and will last no more than 8 hours. Some departments within the clinic or hospital are generally unable to accommodate job shadow requests, such as CPC (Child Protection Center) and Behavioral Health Services. Requests are subject to department manager approval and may be limited due to staff availability or workload. Some departments may have other specific parameters that must be met.
- Patient confidentiality is extremely important. You will be required to sign a form indicating that you understand the importance of patient & hospital confidentiality. In addition, you are expected to comply with appropriate hospital and clinic rules and regulations. We respect the rights of our patients. All patient related job shadows are subject to patient approval. The patient has the right to refuse to have a job shadow participant present during a visit or procedure.
- Our first priority is meeting the needs of our patients. While we attempt to accommodate the learning needs of our students, at times we may decline a request for a job shadow experience even if all the requirements are met. Please remember that we need to have adequate resources to serve our patient population. In addition, some areas require a high degree of sensitivity and are not suitable for job shadowing. If your request is not approved, you will be notified.
- A light meal is suggested before you begin your job shadow experience as it may help with queasiness or nausea. Please let your job shadow mentor know immediately if you feel dizzy or nauseated.
- You must be in good health the day of your visit. If you have any symptoms of illness, including fever, rash, cough, etc. you are expected to notify the department and reschedule your job shadow.
- St. Luke's does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veterans' status or age.
- If you are interested in becoming a St. Luke's volunteer please contact our Volunteer Services department at 319-369-7213 or complete an application on the St. Luke's internet.
- The Workplace Learning Connection (WLC) brings together students from Cedar, Benton, Iowa, Jones, Linn, Johnson and Washington counties in east central Iowa looking for career information and connects them to area business professionals who are interested in preparing our region's future employees. Students become more prepared for the local job market, and businesses have the opportunity to mold potential employees, creating a hands-on way for students to explore careers while still in high school. Interested students should call the WLC main office at 319-398-1040.