Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Job Shadows
1. What do I do with the completed forms?
E-mail or fax application to the department contact on the Job Shadows Available list.
2. I've returned all the forms and have a day scheduled for my job shadow. What do I do if I'm sick on my scheduled day?
Please be considerate of our patients and staff and reschedule your job shadow day. Contact your assigned staff person or hospital department.
3. What happens if the weather is bad and there is a snow or ice storm?
If you feel uncomfortable driving for any reason it's best to call and reschedule.
4. What should I do if I'm late on the day of my scheduled visit?
Call your assigned staff member as soon as possible and let them know you will be tardy.
5. What do I need to bring with me?
You may want to bring a small notebook and a pen for questions/thoughts and a small amount of cash to get something from the cafeteria. Cell phones must be turned off or set to silent. No backpacks, tote bags or purses. We are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items so please leave valuables at home.
6. How do I know what day I will be shadowing?
Completed applications will be reviewed and approved by the department contact. If your job shadow request is approved you will be notified of the date, time and location to report. You will also be given the name and contact number of the staff person you will be assigned to.
7. What if I need verification of the job shadow?
If you have a form that needs to be signed please bring it with you on your job shadow day and your assigned staff person can sign it.
8. Can I use this experience to fulfill requirements for volunteering?
No. The requirements for volunteering are different. If you would like to be a volunteer please contact our Volunteer Services Office at 319-369-7213.
9. I'm coming home from college for the weekend. Can I job shadow tomorrow?
We need at least 1-2 weeks' notice before your request will be approved. That gives us ample time to review your submitted forms and ensure the information is complete. We also need time to set up a job shadow mentor for you on a day that works for them. Please plan accordingly and submit your forms at least one week in advance. Most job shadow experiences are scheduled Monday through Friday.