Individuals interested in the Child Life Practicum Program should follow the time schedule for application procedure.
Summer Semester for Practicum
- Application Due: Jan. 5
- Initial Offer Date: Second Tuesday of February
- Acceptance Date: The following Wednesday
- Practicum Dates: June - August
1. Click here to download the application. Please remember, all students must be affiliated with a university during their practicum.
2. Please return it along with the following items:
- 3 recommendation forms completed by non-family members
- College transcript (Official transcript recommended but not required)
3. Please mail all items to:
Blank Children's Hospital
Child Life Department
Attn: Internship Team
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
An interview is required for practicum selection. You may be contacted for an interview, after your application, transcript, and recommendations are reviewed. If it is impossible to arrange a personal interview, one can be conducted over the telephone. During the interview you will be asked a series of questions regarding child development theories and application.
Individuals will be notified of their acceptance into the Practicum Program on or before the date specified above. Individuals who complete a practicum program at Blank Children's Hospital are required to apply for a Child Life Internship at facilities other than Blank Children's Hospital.
Housing arrangements are the responsibility of the student.
The following vaccinations or tests need to be completed and documented by your school or family doctor prior to your start date:
- Two MMRs or proof of a Titer
- Tuberculin Skin Test
- Tetanus (not required, but recommended)
No stipend is paid to the Child Life student; parking is free of charge.
May be purchased or departmental copies may be used by the student.
Child Life students are required to complete one hundred (100) hours over eight (8) weeks.