Job Shadow Program
Thank you for your interest in a job shadow with UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital or UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown.
We understand the value and importance of interviewing a healthcare professional or participating in an observation experience as part of the career exploration process. We want to help you gain useful information as to the types of skills and education required for careers in health care.
Job Shadow Offerings
We are committed to providing educational opportunities for individuals interested in healthcare careers, whether they are clinical or non-clinical in nature. Our Job Shadow Program is geared toward students or individuals who are considering a career change or career exploration. Experiences include virtual interviews, in-person interviews and in-person observations. In-person observations will not provide hands-on patient care.
One hour maximum. Open to those 14* years of age and older.
The virtual interview will consist of a team member in the department you have selected. During this interview you can ask questions regarding job functions and other responsibilities.
One hour maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
The in-person interview will consist of a team member in the department you have selected. This interview will be face to face in the designated location. During this interview you can ask questions regarding job functions and responsibilities.
8 hours maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
Additional time is contingent on the individual's needs and area of interest. Approval will be at the discretion of the Healthcare Host. In-person observations will consist of a designated team member showing you the various day to day job responsibilities in the area of your choice.
*Parent/guardian consent to participate in any experience is required of all participants younger than 18 years of age.
Job Shadows are not clinical rotations and will not meet the requirements for programs that require clinical contact hours or internship hours, nor will it fulfill the requirement for volunteer or community service hours.
Learn more about careers in healthcare:
Everyone interested in a virtual interview, in-person interview or in-person observation must:
- Complete the online application.
- The application requires a parent/guardian to electronically sign and provide consent
- The application also requires your electronic signature of a Consent and Release from Liability Form
- For in-person observations, upload an acceptable copy of your immunizations and email them to UPH_WJobShadow@unitypoint.org.
- We require both a copy of your annual influenza (flu) vaccine and a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine. You must have a full dose of your initial COVID-19 vaccine (boosters are not required). An acceptable copy of your vaccinations includes: electronic health record documents showing the vaccine documentation and date administered or a vaccination card with dose and dates administered.
- Review the Self-Guided Orientation.
All documents must be received as part of your application to be able to participate and must be received at least two (2) weeks prior to scheduled experience. If these documents are not received, your application will be closed without notification.