Post-Graduate Year-1 (PGY-1) Pharmacy Practice Residency
UnityPoint Health – St. Luke's, located in Sioux City, Iowa, is a not-for-profit patient and family-centered hospital that delivers compassionate care to families in the Tri-State area including Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. St. Luke's offers a full range of services and programs. From our state-of-the-art surgical center and the area's most recognized birth center to 24/7 cardiovascular care and the Level III emergency department, our services are tailored for each patient's needs.
The resident's training will be conducted primarily at the hospital. However, nearby clinics and centers (all in Sioux City) may serve as practice sites depending on the goals of the resident and the program.
Upon completion of this PGY-1 residency, the pharmacist will:
- Demonstrate proficiency, confidence and compassion in providing pharmaceutical care to all patients
- Design, conduct and evaluate investigations of pharmacy practice-related issues
- Demonstrate professionalism and maturity in all aspects of practice
- Exhibit proficiency and confidence in all areas of acute care pharmacy practice, including drug provision, distribution, administration, and pharmacy management
- Educate patients and health care providers on effective and safe drug use
- Manage the medication use process including programs to promote patient safety
The mission of the UnityPoint Health-St Luke's Residency Program is to develop strong and competent pharmacy practitioners in hospital pharmacy with an emphasis in Internal Medicine, anticoagulation, pharmacokinetics, neonatal care, and medication reconciliation. The graduated Resident will be able to practice in a hospital Pharmacy or further their education as a PGY2 Resident.