Unique Approach to Quality Care & Clinical Excellence
UnityPoint Health - Trinity Regional Medical Center has developed and implemented an interdisciplinary Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) approach of care to support a culture of quality care, clinical excellence, cost-effectiveness, critical thinking, empowerment of staff, and professional growth.
The Trinity EBP Model incorporates clinical practice, experience, patient expectation and preference, and caring as grounded in clinical research. Education helps to nourish EBP, but leadership, enthusiasm, mentorship, clinical Inquiry, and reflective practice make EBP thrive. The EBP Ambassadors branch out to each unit to grow journal clubs, EBP web pages, EBP projects, research utilization projects, and staff led practice reviews. The fruits are quality patient care, clinical excellence, cost-effectiveness, critical thinking, empowerment of staff, and professional growth.
The objective of the EBP model at Trinity are:
- Generate and sustain excitement and support for EBP as a priority in patient care
- Encourage interdisciplinary staff to reflect on practice
- Solicit ideas for exploration
- Encourage interdisciplinary staff to engage and participate in EBP projects
- Request evidence to support clinical practice
- Welcome ideas for practice improvement
- Encourage use of current literature to support change
- Cite evidence for practice or policy changes
- Coordinate interdisciplinary hospital-wide EBP efforts
- Educate interdisciplinary staff about EBP concepts, skills, and tools
- Mentor interdisciplinary staff in EBP
- Involve interdisciplinary staff to review policies and protocols to reflect the best available evidence
- Identify priority clinical practice issues requiring EBP solutions
- Empower interdisciplinary staff to gain confidence in their practice by being able to articulate best practice
- Assist interdisciplinary staff to disseminate evidence through local, regional, and national presentations and peer-review journals.