Radiologic Technology (RT) Certificate Program
The RT program is a two-year, full-time program educating students in all aspects of general radiology. Students will learn to use state-of-the art equipment and ionizing radiation to produce diagnostic images in order to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of illness and disease. Through an articulation agreement with DMACC, students have the option of pursuing an Associate in General Studies degree. Are you looking for an exciting career in the medical field? Explore an education in radiologic technology!
The mission of the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines School of Radiologic Technology is to educate students in the art and science of radiologic technology and to help them become competent and caring healthcare professionals.
The UnityPoint Health - Des Moines School of Radiologic Technology is fully accredited by the:
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
Length of Accreditation Award: 8 Years
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Professional Licensure Disclosure Statement
At the end of this program, each student should be able to:
1. Practice as a competent entry-level radiographer.
- Accurately set technical factors for examinations.
- Provide quality patient care.
2. Integrate critical thinking and problem solving abilities into clinical practice.
- Distinguish between a "difficult exam" and utilizing true critical thinking/problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking/problem solving skills in the clinical setting.
3. Communicate effectively in the clinical area.
- Communicate through oral methods.
- Communicate through written methods.
4. Demonstrate and evaluate professional development.
- Research professionalism and develop a Personal Philosophy of Professionalism.
- Model professionalism in the clinical arena.
5. Meet the needs of the community.
- Students entering the program will complete the program.
- Graduates who sit for the ARRT Board Examination within 6 months of graduation will pass on the first attempt.
- Graduates will be satisfied with the educational program.
- Employers will hire graduates.
- Of those seeking employment, graduates will be employed within 12 months of graduation.
Applicants are required to attend an Information Session as part of the admission process to the School of Radiologic Technology.
Date: First Friday of most months - reservations required*
Location: Online via Microsoft Teams
Time: 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.
*Seating is limited. Applicants must call Daniel VanHorn at 515-241-6880 or email him at email@example.com to reserve a seat. Faculty reserve the right to determine if a session will be held on any given Friday.
The program has revised its policy, effective July 1, 2016, regarding the placement of students in mammography clinical rotations to observe and/or perform breast imaging.
Under the revised policy, all students, male and female, will be offered the opportunity to participate in mammography clinical rotations. The program will make every effort to place a male student in a mammography clinical rotation if requested; however, the program is not in a position to override clinical setting policies that restrict clinical experiences in mammography to female students. Male students are advised that placement in a mammography rotation is not guaranteed and is subject to the availability of a clinical setting that allows males to participate in mammographic imaging procedures. The program will not deny female students the opportunity to participate in mammography rotations if clinical settings are not available to provide the same opportunity to male students.
Our program is proud to report that over the most recent five year period:
- 97.2% of graduates pursuing a career in radiologic technology have passed the ARRT National Board Examination on their first attempt.
- 100% of graduates pursuing employment in radiologic technology have obtained positions within 12 months of graduation.
- 81% of incoming students completed the program.
Program Effectiveness Report 2020
Assessment Summary for 2020-2021
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the program is $1,200/semester. In addition, students pay an annual student services fee of $400. Tuition and fee costs are subject to change.
1st Year 2nd Year
1st Semester—$1,600 4th Semester—$1,600
2nd Semester—$1,200 5th Semester—$1,200
3rd Semester—$1,200 6th Semester—$1,200
Total Tuition + Fees —$8,000
School of Radiologic Technology Catalog and Academic Calendar
Download our 2022-2023 School of Radiologic Technology Catalog for information on our schedule, curriculum, course descriptions, admission requirements, student benefits/expenses and much more. You can also download our 2022-2023 Academic Calendar and 2022-2023 Semester Schedule.
Application for Admission
To be considered for enrollment in our program, download and print our Application for Admission form and mail it to the address given on the form. Applicants must review the clinical standards to determine their ability and compatibility with the physical requirements of radiographers. The annual application deadline is January 15.
Click here for a copy of the Application Evaluation Rubric used to score all applications submitted to the program.
Download a copy of our Student Handbook 2022-2023. Also download a copy of our Clinical Practicum Syllabus.
Download a copy of our Financial Aid Handbook and Financial Aid Code of Conduct.
The radiology program conducts business and academic activities in a manner free from discrimination and strives to provide equal opportunity and treatment for students without regard to age, race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, political affiliation or any other factor protected by law. Persons applying to the program are provided with the Technical (Clinical) Standards during the application process.
Title IX Coordinator
Daniel Van Horn, M.S.Ed., R.T. (R)
Radiography Program Director
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
Office Phone – (515) 241-6880
Title IX Training Series Materials (thompsoncoburn.com)
Funding your education on your own merit is within your reach. With a Meritize loan, you can improve your loan terms by sharing your academic profile. Providing your transcript – whether high school, partial or full college or previous skills-based school experience – lets Meritize use your learning history to enhance your credit evaluation and improve your loan options.
You don't have to have great credit. You don't have to have a co-borrower (but if you do, even better). And you don't have to be an "A" student to get financial credit for your academic merit.
With a Meritize loan you can:
- Use your transcript to enhance your credit and improve your loan options
- Get pre-approved in minutes
- Fund the full cost of tuition on your own merit
- Choose affordable fixed or variable rates
- Select the repayment option that works best for you while you attend school – making full payments, making interest-only payments, or making no payments until 3 months after graduation
- Repay your loan over 3, 5 or 10 years
- Avoid prepayment penalty fees if you choose to pay your loan off early
- Get access to free Meritize Career Success Services for job and career support
Get pre-approved in minutes at www.meritize.com.