Learner Observation Program
Thank you for your interest in a Learner Observation experience with UnityPoint Health - Des Moines!
We understand the value and importance of interviewing a healthcare professional or participating in an observation experience as part of the career exploration process. We want to help you gain useful information as to the types of skills and education required for careers in healthcare.
Learner Observation Offerings
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines (UPHDM) is committed to providing educational opportunities for individuals interested in healthcare careers, whether they are clinical or non-clinical in nature. Our Learner Observation Program is geared toward students or individuals who are considering a career change. Experiences include virtual interviews, in-person interviews and in-person observations. In-person observations will not provide hands-on patient care.
- Virtual Interview: One hour maximum. Open to those 14* years of age and older.
- In-person Interview: One hour maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older.
- In-person Observation: 8 hours maximum. Open to those 16* years of age and older. Additional time is contingent on the individual's needs and area of interest. Approval will be at the discretion of the Healthcare Host.
*Parent/guardian consent to participate in any experience is required of all participants younger than 18 years of age.
Learner observations are not clinical rotations and will not meet the requirements for programs that require clinical contact hours or internship hours, nor will it fulfill the requirement for volunteer or community service hours.
Everyone interested in a virtual interview, in-person interview or in-person observation must:
- Complete this application and electronically submit to the area in which experience is requested. Contact information can be found HERE.
- Sign the Consent and Release from Liability Form included with the application.
- Parent/guardian signature on the application for all participants younger than age 18.
- Provide an acceptable copy of your immunizations (only for in-person observations).
- Review Self-Guided Orientation.
All documents must be received as part of your application to be able to participate and must be received at least two (2) weeks prior to scheduled experience. If these documents are not received, your application will be closed without notification.