PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program at Iowa Methodist Medical Center
The resident's training will be conducted
primarily at Iowa Methodist Medical Center. However, nearby clinics and
hospitals (all in Des Moines) may serve as practice sites depending on the
goals of the resident and the program. Travel to Drake University will be
required for academic activities.
- Resident candidates must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree (or equivalent) from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited degree program (or one in process of pursuing accreditation) or have a Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee (FPGEC) certificate from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP).
- Resident candidates shall be licensed to practice pharmacy in the state of Iowa or be eligible to obtain licensure by August 1 of the residency year.
- Resident candidates shall adhere to the rules of the resident matching program process.
- Resident candidates shall meet all other pre-employment requirements for UnityPoint Health-Des Moines including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
The deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 1, 2021. An on-site interview is required and will be scheduled in January or February. This will take approximately 4 hours and will require the candidate to give a 20-minute presentation on a pharmacotherapy related topic.
Resident Matching Program
As an ASHP-Accredited site, this pharmacy practice residency program will participate in the ASHP residency matching process. Applicants must be enrolled in the match to be considered for this program. Our ASHP match number is: 153813. More information about the ASHP residency matching process may be obtained at: www.natmatch.com/ashprmp.
Practice Site Overview
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is a community health system that incorporates four hospitals and more than 50 clinics to provide care for patients based in the Des Moines area. UnityPoint Health prioritizes coordinated, innovative healthcare while optimizing the patient experience. UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is comprised of Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Methodist West Hospital and Blank Children's Hospital.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Iowa Methodist Medical Center is a 450 bed comprehensive medical center and teaching hospital located in Des Moines, Iowa and is the primary teaching site for the residency program. It is the third largest hospital in Iowa. Some of Iowa Methodist's areas of specialization include cancer care, cardiovascular care and surgery, vascular services, critical care, pulmonary care, renal transplant, stroke care, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, physical rehabilitation, bariatric surgery, maternity care, women's services, emergency care, and is one of only two Level 1 trauma centers in the state.
As a teaching hospital, Iowa Methodist Medical Center offers a variety of residency programs for new health care professionals including medical, pharmacy, podiatry & nursing residency programs.
Blank Children's Hospital
Blank Children's Hospital is a stand-alone pediatric hospital located on the same campus as Iowa Methodist Medical Center. It offers neonatal and pediatric intensive care, pediatric hematology/oncology services as well as general pediatric care.
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital is a community hospital located in Des Moines, Iowa. The hospital specializes in cardiovascular care, maternity and women's services, emergency treatment, chemical dependency treatment, behavioral medicine, general surgery, orthopedics, critical care and older adult services.
Methodist West Hospital
Methodist West Hospital is a state-of-the-art community hospital featuring general medical, adult inpatient services, surgical services, emergency care, orthopedic services and maternity care.
Department of Pharmacy - Iowa Methodist Medical Center
The Department of Pharmacy at Iowa Methodist Medical Center includes a team of over 90 pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, support staff, and interns. The Department of Pharmacy utilizes a decentralized model to ensure that pharmacists are readily accessible to patients and other members of the healthcare team. The pharmacy staff is well integrated within the health care team, participating in patient care rounds, providing pharmacy consult services, educating patients, performing medication reconciliation activities and offering experiential education opportunities to many central Iowa students. Pharmacists within the Department of Pharmacy at Iowa Methodist Medical Center are highly qualified and well respected within the institution. These pharmacists and technicians are committed to providing a great learning environment for both our students and residents.
Drake University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Drake University is a mid-sized, private university located in Des Moines, Iowa. The university strives to provide students with an exceptional learning environment through collaborative learning, research opportunities, and community service. The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences offers a variety of programs in pharmacy, health sciences, occupational therapy, and athletic training. Iowa Methodist Medical Center partners with Drake University.
The resident will receive an appointment as a Clinical Instructor at the Drake University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences. This will allow the resident the opportunity to complete a teaching certificate and develop their experiential teaching skills by co-precepting Doctor of Pharmacy students from Drake on rotation at Iowa Methodist Medical Center. This will include day-to-day instruction in patient care rounds, participation in Journal Club, Pharmacy rounds and other activities. The residents will also co-teach one course in the spring, and have the opportunity to participate in additional didactic teaching at Drake.
Requirements for Successful Completion of PGY1 Pharmacy Residency
Core Learning Experiences
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice (orientation for 4-6 weeks, then longitudinal throughout residency year)
- General Pediatrics (4 weeks)
- Infectious Disease (4 weeks)
- Internal Medicine (6 weeks)
- Medical Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Pharmacy Management (4 weeks)
- Clinical Management (longitudinal - 4 months)
- Medication Safety (longitudinal - 4 months)
- Teaching (longitudinal - 4 months)
- Ambulatory Care (1 clinic [including diabetes, anticoagulation, and hypertension management], longitudinal throughout residency year, 8 hours/every third week)
Elective Learning Experiences
- Ambulatory Care (2-4 weeks)
- Cardiology (2-4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine (2-4 weeks)
- Oncology (4 weeks)
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2-4 weeks)
- Pediatric Infectious Disease (2-4 weeks)
- Pediatric Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Renal/Transplant (2-4 weeks)
- Surgery/Trauma (4 weeks)
- Others as discussed
The resident will provide staffing one-half shift per week in the evening and two eight hour shifts every third weekend. The resident will also staff two holiday season shifts. To compensate for staffing requirements the residents are allowed one comp day per four week learning experience.
- One clinical/practice research project to be presented at regional resident's conference
- Medication usage evaluations
- Drug information projects: author or contribute to a formulary monograph and/or class review
- Completion of one Pharmacy Grand Rounds presentation
- Completion of Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) Resident Course
- Various practice management projects
- Other activities as determined by the program and the resident
- Journal Club in conjunction with medical residents
- Completion of the teaching certificate program through Drake University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Eighty-five percent (85%) of goals and objectives scored as achieved for residency
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Summary Information
- Accreditation: ASHP Accredited
- Program Code: 61500
- ASHP Match #: 153813
- Number of Residents: 3
- Hospital Size: 450 beds
- Number of Preceptors: 15
- Salary: $47,500
- Paid Vacation Days: 10
- Health Benefits: Yes (medical & dental)
- Staffing: Two eight hour shifts every third weekend, ½ evening shift/week
- Other: Professional meeting attendance (ASHP Midyear & regional residency conference), convenient parking, paid holidays, reference material stipend and clinical appointment with Drake University.