Our Comfort Techniques class is a two and a half hour class for expectant parents to discuss a more in depth study and practice of how to manage pain with less medical intervention. Topics include breathing, relaxation, visualization, focal points, positions and movement techniques during the time when labor begins.
* This class does not replace Understanding Birth: Series or Express classes *
Comfort Techniques classes are held at Iowa Methodist and Methodist West Hospitals - Please take note when registering.
- Classes at Iowa Methodist are held in the Education & Research Center (ERC) - located on the ground level of the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage. The Iowa Methodist Parking Garage is located on the west side of the Iowa Methodist Campus, on the corner of Pleasant St. and 14th Place. We recommend parking in the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage and taking the South parking garage elevators to the Ground Level. After exiting the elevator, you will be in the ERC. View Maps & Directions: Iowa Methodist Campus and Education & Research Center (ERC)
Please note: The Woodland Avenue entrance will be locked.
- Classes at Methodist West are held in the Conference Center - The Conference Center entrance is located on the West side of the hospital (back side of the hospital), use the Short Term Parking areas or employee parking spots. View Maps & Directions: Methodist West Campus
- Classes at Iowa Lutheran Hospital are held in Dining Room A/B - Dining Room A/B is located pas the Cafeteria on Level B. Use main entrance and proceed down hallway past the Family Library, take elevators to Level B, take a left off the elevators and continue past the Cafeteria. Dining Room A/B is on the right. View Maps & Directions: Iowa Lutheran Hospital
Click on the Register Now button above to register for an upcoming class - registration must be completed online. If you're needing to cancel a class or for further assistance please call 515.241.6763.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment, if this should happen you will be notified by email or phone one week in advance and given the opportunity to register for the next available classes.
- For cancelations due to inclement weather, please tune into your local TV or Radio stations. Cancelations will also be posted on our website at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines - You will also receive notification if your class is cancelled by phone/ email
Be sure to stay updated on UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Pregnancy and Maternity by liking our Facebook Page!