PALS Renewal Course: Pediatric Advanced Life Support
Purpose & Intended Audience
To provide physicians, nurses, paramedics and respiratory therapists with current concepts of advanced pediatric life support as defined by the American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of the Pre-Course Self-Assessment with a score of 70% or higher. Please print your score sheet and completion certificate and either email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 515-241-6732 at least 2 weeks prior to the course date in order to allow participation in the course.
- To access Pre-course Assessment, visit the PALS Student Website: https://elearning.heart.org/course/427
$125 - Registration fee includes nursing contact hours and American Heart Association card. Lunch is on your own. A manual is not included.
**A 2020 AHA PALS Provider Manual is required for the course. You may purchase this paperback book from https://shopcpr.heart.org
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Perform high-quality CPR per the American Heart Associations (AHA) basic life support (BLS) recommendations.
- Identify patients who require immediate intervention.
- Differentiate between respiratory distress and respiratory failure and initiation of appropriate treatment.
- Differentiate between compensated and hypotensive shock and initiation of appropriate treatment.
- Differentiae between stable and unstable dysrhythmias and initiation of treatment to manage dysrhythmias.
- Demonstrate implementation of postarrest management.
Continuing Education Credits
***This program has not been approved for nursing continuing education credit***
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is accredited by the Iowa Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. UnityPoint Health – Des Moines designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American Heart Association will issue an eCard verifying the successful completion of the PALS course. The expiration of the verification will occur two years from the date of issue.
- Class meets from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Minimum class size required. Classes may be canceled if the minimum registration is not met two weeks prior to the course.
All PALS Courses are held in our Simulation Lab, unless otherwise stated.
Blank Children's Hospital and Iowa Methodist Medical Center campus
Simulation Lab, 2nd Floor ERC
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
*To get to the class, park in the parking ramp on the south end and take the southeast elevators to level 2.
Blank Children's Hospital reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or inclement weather. In this event, you will be notified and your entire registration fee refunded.
A processing fee of $30 will be retained for cancellations less than 3 business days prior to the course.
No refund will be available for cancellation less than 3 business days prior to the course.
Please contact Terry Neal at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org or at 515-241-4351.