Purpose & Intended Audience
To provide physicians, nurses, paramedics and respiratory therapists current concepts of advanced pediatric life support as defined by the American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of the Pre-course Assessment with 70% or higher. Please print your score and fax to Terry Neal at 515-241-6732 prior to the course in order to allow participation in the course. Bring AHA PALS Course manual with you to class.
- To access Pre-course Assessment, visit the PALS Student Website: www.heart.org/eccstudentand enter code: pals 15.
$100-Registration fee includes an American Heart Association card. Lunch is on your own. A manual is not included.
**A 2015 AHA PALS Provider Manual is required for the course. You may purchase this paperback book from any supplier you wish. Below are a few options.
WorldPoint ECC, Inc.-https://worldpoint.com/aha-pals-provider-manual-2015.html
Leardal Medical Corporation-https://www.laerdal.com/us/item/15-1058
Channing Bete Company-https://shop.aha.channing-bete.com/onlinestore
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Understand and be able to perform the systematic approach to pediatric assessment of a seriously ill or injured child, including the general, primary, secondary, and tertiary assessments.
- Use the "assess-categorize-decide-act" approach to decision making.
- Recognize a child who is in respiratory distress or failure and/or compensated or hypotensive shock.
- Manage a child who has life-threatening bradyarrhythmia, tachyarrhythmia or arrest rhythm.
- Describe the key elements and foundation of effective resuscitation including mastery of skills and effective team dynamics.
- Describe management of the child's clinical condition during stabilization and transfer phases of care.
Continuing Education Credits
This program has not been approved for continuing education credit.
The American Heart Association will issue a card verifying the successful completion of the PALS course. Expiration of the verification will occur two years from the date of issue.
- Class meets from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Minimum class size required. Classes may be cancelled if minimum registration is not met two weeks prior to course.
All PALS Courses are held in our Simulation Lab, unless otherwise stated.
Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist Medical Center campus
Simulation Lab, 2nd Floor ERC
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
*To get to the class, park in the ramp on level one at the south end and take the southeast elevators to level 2.
Blank Children's Hospital reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or inclement weather. In this event, you will be notified and your entire registration fee refunded.
A processing fee of $30 will be retained for cancellations less than 5 business days prior to the course.
Terry Neal at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org or 515-241-6611.