UnityPoint Health – Meriter’s team of dedicated educators help expectant parents discover options, advocate choices and prepare confidently for the challenges and changes ahead in this Birth and Parenting series that meets for 2.5 hours, once a week, on the same night of the week in which you register for. *You only need to register for the start date of the 6-class series.
Start & End Dates for Upcoming Series
- Tuesdays, February 13th - March 20th
- Wednesdays, February 21st - March 28th
- Mondays, February 26th - April 2nd
- Tuesdays, March 6th - April 10th
- Sundays, March 11th - April 22nd (no class 4/1/18)
- Wednesdays, March 14th - April 18th
- Wednesdays, April 4th - May 9th
- Tuesdays, April 17th - May 22nd
$115.00 (includes expectant individual & one support person)
Weeks 1, 2 & 3: Preparing for Childbirth
(also available as a stand-alone class titled Preparing for Childbirth)
Prepare for your personal childbirth journey with us. Share your thoughts, concerns and questions. Learn about labor and birth, and create your birth plan. Learn relaxation, the benefits of breathing patterns, pain-coping practices, what to do, how partners can help, options for medications and decision-making skills for a fulfilling and confident birth experience. Whether you are planning a medicated or unmedicated birth, this information-packed class is full of lots of hands-on practice and practical advice and will prepare you for this amazing journey.
Please bring 2 pillows and 2 blankets or mats to the first night of this series. These will be used on the floor, while practicing labor-coping techniques.
Weeks 4 & 5: Newborn Care
(also available as a stand-alone class titled Baby's First Weeks)
Your baby will be born eager to get to know you. We are just as eager for you to learn about your baby. This class covers the characteristics, sensory skills and abilities of a newborn. It also covers the basics of infant care and “hands on” car seat skills. An experienced nurse will discuss common concerns as well as how and when to seek medical advice. Be better prepared for your homecoming so that you will fully enjoy your first weeks together.
If you have a car seat, please bring it to class #5.
Week 6: Basics of Breastfeeding
(also available as a stand-alone class titled Basics of Breastfeeding)
Learn the advantages of breastfeeding, tips for successful breastfeeding, recognize your baby’s hunger cues, position your baby and correct latch. A lactation consultant or counselor will guide you through the basics of breastfeeding in the early days and weeks.
Important Class Information
- It is recommended that you begin classes after your first trimester and plan to complete your classes by your 34th week of pregnancy.
- This class is designed for you, plus one adult support person, due to class content and partner specific activities.
- All classes meet at the Meriter Business Center - 2650 Novation Pkwy (off Rimrock Road).
- Please arrive on time for your class to ensure entrance into the building.
- A tour of the Birthing Center is not included with classes. Tours require advance registration or you may view our online Birthing Center Tour, at your convenience.
- This offering may be eligible for wellness rewards or reimbursement. Please check with your health insurance provider for program details. (Physicians Plus | Quartz | Group Health Cooperative)
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy
- A full refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made 1 week or more prior to the class start date.
- A 50% refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made less than 1 week prior to the start of the series.
- In the event of inclement weather or instructor illness, and the Women’s Health Education Department cancels a class, there is no financial penalty to the student. The student will be offered the opportunity to attend a class at a later date. If the student is unable to reschedule, a refund will be issued.
Please complete your registration online by clicking one of the “Register Now” buttons above.
If you have further questions or need to cancel your registration, please call the Women's Health Education Department at (608) 417-8446.