This comprehensive 2-day instructor-led course is presented to approximately 15,000 clinicians a year and may be used as a competency assessment to validate the knowledge and skills of perinatal clinicians who utilize fetal monitoring and includes a post-test to assess learner knowledge.
Skills taught and knowledge assessed include: Maternal and fetal physiology, interpretation of fetal and uterine monitor tracings, evaluation of auscultated fetal heart sounds, Leopold's Maneuvers, placement of fetal spiral electrodes and intrauterine pressure catheters, evaluation of and strategies for enhancing communication.
This course is designed for clinicians who completed a basic or foundations fetal heart monitoring course and who utilize fetal heart monitoring in the intrapartum setting. Participants are expected to already possess basic knowledge and related skills in the following areas:
- Maternal physiologic changes of pregnancy
- Fetal growth and development
- Methods of fetal monitoring
- Preparation of patient for set-up and initiation of external or internal fetal monitoring components
- Obtaining and maintaining tracings that document fetal heart rate and uterine contractions Interpretation of uterine contraction frequency, duration, and baseline resting tone.
- Identification of the baseline fetal heart rate, variability and deviations. Indicated clinical interventions
- Communication and documentation strategies
Contact Hours: 18 contact hours of CNE and 15.25 hours of CME are provided
AWHONN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
AWHONN also holds a California BRN number California CNE provider #CEP580
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by AWHONN or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjunction with an activity.
Required materials provided for you in the class are the AWHONN 7th Edition Intermediate Course Student Pack ($120 value) which includes the testing code for CEUs.
AWHONN also strongly recommends each student has access to the AWHONN Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles & Practice 5th Edition to prepare for this class. This book is provided in class.
2019 Course Dates
Applicants who cancel less than 7 days prior to class or fail to attend at all, may not be eligible for a refund or for credit on a future training date. Please call the Mother/Baby Care Administration office at 608.417.7491 (M-F) daytime hours or e-mail email@example.com with any questions you have.
- January 23 & 24
- April 18 & 19
- June 4 & 5
- September 12 & 13
- December 3 & 4