The Neonatal Core Curriculum Series spans three weeks.
Care of the Neonate Part 1 & 2
- Class 1: Newborn Foundations (needs to be completed before Care of the Neonate)
- Class 2, Week 1: Care of the Neonate 1
- Class 2, Week 2: Care of the Neonate 2
- Registration for Part 1 automatically registers you for the corresponding Part 2
- April 18 & 25
- August 22 & 29
- December 5 & 12
- April 16 & 30
- August 20 & 27
- October 6 & 13
Prior to registering for this two-part course, the participant should have taken "Newborn Foundations" OR have a minimum of one years' experience taking care of healthy newborns in a hospital setting. "Care of the Neonate 1 & 2" is a curriculum that has been designed for those who are either new to caring for neonates in a level 3 or 4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or are looking to expand their nursing practice from other neonatal or pediatric backgrounds.
Applicants who cancel less than 7 days prior to class or fail to attend at all, may not be eligible for a refund or for credit on a future training date.
Please call the Mother/Baby Care Administration office at 608.417.7491 (M-F) daytime hours or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have or if you need to cancel/reschedule.
Topics to be covered:
- Shock and blood products
- Gestationally-appropriate development care
- Kangaroo care
- Infection and antibiotic use
- The cardiac system and blood products
- Neonatal skin care
- The genitourinary system
- The gastrointestinal system and abdominal wall defects
- Enteral nutrition practices
- Cue-based feeding
- Respiratory system development and complications
- Acid-base balance & blood gas interpretation
- Ventilation modes & principles
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, seizures, and whole body cooling
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Care of the micropreemie, bereavement, and loss