Education Classes are Canceled at this time
To keep you and your
loved ones safe during the global outbreak of COVID-19, UnityPoint Health - Des
Moines is restricting visitors at our facilities. We are sorry for the
inconvenience. We will continue to monitor the situation for future
classes and feel free to register for classes with open registration. If your class is canceled we will try to provide you with other online class opportunities. Please
check back here and follow the Blank Children’s
Facebook page for updates and information. We have created a webinar in place of this class please follow the links below:
*****This video is referenced many times in the webinar so please use this as well: https://www.chop.edu/video/rear-facing-car-seats-babies-safety-tips
The Car Seat Safety class is facilitated by a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. This class is for every parent and caregiver, not just new and expectant parents!
This class focuses on three main objectives:
- Students will learn about Iowa’s Child Passenger Safety Law VS. Best Practice Guidelines.
- You will discuss positioning baby into a car seat and how to appropriately secure the harness.
- The class will go over how to install a car seat into a vehicle. This includes demonstrations with the seat belt system, LATCH system and built-in lock-offs.
Bringing your car seat to class is not required, but it is an option if it would assist with your learning. Installing car seats into individual participants’ vehicles is not included during class. One-on-one appointments can be scheduled with the instructor for a later date.
Car seats are very effective when used correctly; however, approximately 90% of car seats in Iowa are used incorrectly. During this two-hour class, you will learn how to keep your child safe with properly installed car seats.
Car Seat Safety is held at Iowa Methodist Medical Center and Methodist West Hospital. Please take note of which location you have registered for.
- Classes at Iowa Methodist Medical Center are held in the Education & Research Center (ERC). View Maps & Directions to Iowa Methodist Medical Center and the Education & Research Center. Please note: the Woodland Avenue doors will be locked. View this video for parking and finding the ERC.
- Classes at Methodist West Hospital are held in the Conference Center. View Maps & Directions to Methodist West Hospital. View this video for parking and finding the Conference Rooms at Methodist West Hospital.
Click on the Register Now button above to register for an upcoming class. Registration must be completed online. When registering for a class, there's no need to register both parents; the expectant mom's registration will hold a spot for her support person as well. If you've already registered and need to cancel your registration, please call 515-241-6728.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment, inclement weather, or other unforeseen circumstance. If this should happen, you will be notified by e-mail and/or a phone call and given the opportunity to register for the next available class.
For news, updates and tips, follow Blank Children's Hospital on our Facebook page.