Next Steps after being diagnosed with Diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic condition and living with Diabetes can be challenging. Diabetes and You Program at UnityPoint Meriter is recognized by the American Diabetes Association to meet the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) to help you manage the condition so that you can live well and healthy with Diabetes.
By participating in Diabetes Self-Management and Training (DSMT) program, you will:
- Learn skills and tools for diabetes self-care such as eating healthy, being active, monitoring blood sugar, taking medications, and reducing risks for complications.
- Build resilience and confidence in implementing and sustaining behaviors to manage your condition to live healthy with diabetes.
- Develop your personal plans and goals to manage diabetes.
- Expand your support network and learn from others who are also living with diabetes.
Group sessions are offered every month at various Madison area UnityPoint Meriter clinics.
- Session 1: Diabetes: Know Your Numbers and Much More
- Session 2: Diabetes: Healthy Eating, Healthy Life
- Session 3: Living Healthy without Diabetes Complications.
Medicare (Part B): With referral, during the first year of diabetes diagnosis or Medicare enrollment: up to 10 hours of initial DSMT is covered: 1-hour of initial DSMT as one-on-one, and the rest of 9 hours in group sessions. Following years: 2 hours (or more if therapy changes).
Commercial insurance often covers this service. Please check with your insurance for coverage.
Ask your medical providers to refer you to Diabetes Self-Management Training Program to manage and live well with diabetes.