UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) is committed to serving the community by offering preventative care through health screenings and first aid training. If you or your organization is interested in learning more, contact Shauna Callaway by phone (641) 236-2385
Diabetes Prevention Program
GRMC has partnered with local businesses and the local Lions Club to offer a diabetes prevention program consisting of free screenings and a course for those identified as diabetic or prediabetic. The screening involves a risk assessment survey, and a blood test and BMI (height and weight) for those whom the survey indicates have high risk.
Those identified as diabetic or prediabetic can enroll in The Lifestyle Change Program, a free yearlong course that seeks to help people both mentally and physically with goal-setting, physical activity, stress management, positive self-talk, and nutrition.
Learn more or contact Shauna Callaway by phone (641) 236-2385 or e-mail.
Health and Blood Screenings
Health and Blood Screenings are available for individuals as well as for groups. Reach out to Shauna Callaway to learn more about these affordable screenings.
- Blood pressure, height and weight and waist circumference - $5
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) – Used to evaluate overall health and detect a wide range of disorders. Includes white blood cell count, red blood cell count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets, mean cell volume, lymphocytes, monocytes, etc. - $10
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) – Used to evaluate the status of your metabolism. Includes lipid panel, glucose, liver functions, kidney functions, iron, sodium, potassium, etc. (12-hour fast recommended for accurate results). - $30
- Complete Blood Profile - Includes CMP and CBC - $35
- Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) – used to screen adults for thyroid disorders and aids in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. - $15
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) - This test is only for males and it screens for problems of the prostate. - $20
- Hemoglobin A1C - Monitors the overall sugar in the blood over the last 2-3 months. - $17
- Vitamin D - Vital for growth and health of your bones. - $25
- Vitamin B12 - A deficiency can lead to anemia. - $25
- Ferritin - Amount of Iron your body stores. $25
- Testosterone - Present in both males and females. Helps evaluate decreased sex drive in men and women, erectile dysfunction and infertility. - $25
- Blood Typing - $20
First Aid and CPR Certification
First Aid and CPR Certifications are available for individuals as well as for groups. Reach out to Shauna Callaway
to learn more about these life-saving certifications.
Instructor-led Heartsaver CPR AED (Adult, child, infant – up to 2 hours of instruction)
This is an instructor-led course that teaches adult and child CPR and AED use, infant CPR, and how to relieve choking in adults, children and infants. This course teaches skills with the AHA's research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allow instructors to observe the students, provide feedback, and guide the students' learning of skills. This course can be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting. Students receive a certification card that is valid for 2 years.
Complete the eLearning portion of Heartsaver CPR and AED training. Upon completion of the online portion, students must complete a hands-on session with an AHA Instructor.
Instructor-led Healthcare Professional CPR AED (up to 2.5 hours of instruction).
The BLS Instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on High-Quality CPR and team dynamics. Students work with an AHA BLS Instructor to complete BLS skills practice and skills testing. Students also complete a written exam.
Heartsaver First Aid (up to 2 hours of instruction).
The instructor-led course teaches students critical skills to respond to and manage an emergency in the first few minutes until emergency medical services arrive. Students learn duties and responsibilities of first aid rescuers; first aid actions for medical emergencies, including severe choking, heart attack, and stroke; and skills for handling injury and environmental emergencies, including external bleeding, broken bones and sprains, and bites and stings. This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in first aid to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements.
First Aid + Heartsaver Adult/Child/Infant CPR AED (up to 4 hours of instruction).
A combination of Heartsaver First Aid and Heartsaver CPR AED