Patients and Visitors
Welcome to UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center
Our goal is to offer you and your family the best care possible in a caring and comfortable environment. We offer a variety of levels of care based on the severity of your condition. From our intensive care unit to our maternity center, skilled care and more, we are focused on delivering exceptional care.
Our providers and staff will make every effort to keep you informed about your care and ask for your input. If you require additional information, please contact us. Our staff is happy to answer any questions and assist you in any way possible.
Effective October 13, 2022
- Two visitors are allowed per patient at UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Regional Medical Center. Please note the following exceptions to the visitor limit:
- Maternity Services (labor, delivery and postpartum). Two visitors are allowed. One designated birth coach/doula is also allowed during the birthing process.
- All end-of-life situations. The two visitor limit can be reviewed by the care team.
- Minors age 16 and younger must be supervised by an adult who is not the patient.
- Visitors must remain in the patient room, as appropriate and limit movement within the facility.
- Visitors may not visit the cafeteria, but can order an inpatient guest meal tray for $6.
- All visitors must be healthy and free of any signs of illness.
- Visitors should clean their hands prior to entering the patient room and upon leaving the room, using soap and water or hand sanitizer. Cleaning hands frequently during the visit is recommended.
- Visitors must follow PPE (personal protective equipment) instruction, if requested by a team member.
- Visitors will be asked to leave if they are not willing to comply with these requests.
We appreciate your understanding. Our main focus is to assist patients to a healthy recovery and to provide the best quality care possible while keeping our patients, team members and communities safe. Please check with the patient's nursing staff for any particular guidelines. Certain areas, such as intensive care and maternity, will have specific visiting instructions.
Effective October 3, 2022
At this time, masking is based on personal preference. Patients and visitors should mask in all Grinnell facilities if they are currently ill with respiratory symptoms, have a COVID-19 diagnosis or have been exposed to COVID-19 in the past 10 days. Masking is strongly recommended when community transmission levels are high. We encourage anyone who prefers to continue masking to do so.
The Café on Fourth
The Café on Fourth is located on the first floor of the hospital and is open every day, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Breakfast: 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Lunch: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Salad and Sandwich Station: open until 4 p.m.
Coffee and Tea
Free coffee and tea are available for visitors and patient families in the seating area diagonal to the Café on Fourth.
Vending machines for snacks and beverages are available 24 hours a day. They are located on the second floor near the emergency room waiting area and intensive care waiting area. An ice and water dispenser is also located here.
- Patients may order room service between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Orders are delivered within 45 minutes of the order being placed. The room service menu offers breakfast options all day and a choice of main dish lunch and dinner options, along with many additional side dish choices.
- Visitors with patients may order a guest tray through the room service menu for a $6 charge, from 4 to 6 p.m.
Family Care Services
Staying in Touch
Friends and relaties may contact a patient by calling the hospital general switchboard number, (641) 236-7511.
- Cellular phones can be used in the medical, surgical and obstetric units, as long as it does not interfere with medical equipment. Cell phone usage is not allowed in the emergency department and is limited in intensive care.
- Patients may bring their cellular telephones and chargers for usage with the exceptions listed above. Landline telephones are available in each medical, surgical and obstetric inpatient room.
Long Distance Calls
Inpatients who need to call long distance using a hospital landline telephone must use phone cards, credit cards, collect charges or third-party billing.
Mail is delivered to patients daily. Please address to:
- Patient's Name
Patient's Room Number (if known)
UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center
210 4th Avenue
Grinnell, IA 50112
Upon entering the main hospital entrance at UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center, patients and visitors will approach the information desk and be directed to the next available admitting clerk. The admitting clerk will need the following information:
- Patient name
- Telephone number
- Next of kin
- Photo identification
- Insurance card
The patient's physician will have submitted orders for the tests to be completed and information concerning the patient's stay.
Patients may pre-register so when they arrive at the hospital they are taken directly to the Kintzinger Women's Health Center for evaluation and preparation for delivery of the baby. Contact the obstetrics care coordinator by email at GRMC_Obstetrics_group@unitypoint.org or by calling (641) 236-2324 with questions.
Therapies used to reduce pain and anxiety.
We provide services to inpatients to help reduce pain and anxiety to give you the best possible care during your visit. Understanding of the connection between reflexes and touch, guided us as we launched therapies that use energy and relaxation to reduce pain and stress.
The DAISY Award
DAISY nurses are the nurses that go above-and-beyond for their patients. Their coworkers feel that working with them is a real gift because they care about all aspects of their job and teammates. They are the nurses you want caring for you and your loved ones.
The ROSE Award is a program that rewards our patient care technicians (PCT). ROSE stands for Recognizing Outstanding Service Excellence. These individuals consistently demonstrate excellence through clinical expertise, extraordinary service and compassionate care.