The John Stoddard Cancer Center
Our high standard of care comes from decades of research, cancer treatment experience, and cancer care technological superiority. As cancer survival rates increase, our team remains focused on providing the most advanced and comprehensive cancer care to our patients.
Cancer Care Recognition
John Stoddard Cancer Center, a service of UnityPoint Health - Des Moines, continues to lead the way as an Iowa cancer center and has been recognized for its quality cancer care. The John Stoddard Cancer Center is among the top achieving cancer programs in the nation.
Our center has also been recognized as an accredited breast cancer center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. Receiving care at the NAPBC-accredited John Stoddard Cancer Center ensures that a patient will have access to a full range of state-of-the-art cancer care services and a multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best cancer treatment options. With information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options, patients have access to quality care close to home.
As the state's first hospital-based radiation oncology department at Iowa Methodist Medical Center, John Stoddard Radiation Oncology continues to be one of the most technologically advanced radiation oncology departments in Iowa.
Video Tour -What to expect when you come, from parking to treatment and everything in between.
The Leading Des Moines Cancer Center
Today, the John Stoddard Cancer Center remains at the forefront of cancer care in Iowa and the entire midwest.
- The Stoddard Adult Oncology Inpatient Unit has many unique features and was designed with the patient and family in mind. An interdisciplinary, holistic, and family centered approach is central to our care delivery on this unit. Our team includes, but is not limited to, pharmacy, pastoral care, nutrition services, respiratory care, physical therapy, social services, case management, oncology nurse navigators, nursing, surgery and medical and radiation oncology to provide a comprehensive spectrum of care.
- We are among the most technologically advanced and diverse radiation oncology departments in the Midwest. In 1962, Iowa Methodist Medical Center established Iowa's first hospital-based radiation oncology department. We began offering intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) in 2002, which allows us to precisely shape the radiation beam to maximize treatment of the tumor while minimizing exposure to the surrounding healthy tissue. In 2004, we began treating patients using stereotactic radiosurgery. Both of these were firsts for cancer treatment in central Iowa. In 2011, the John Stoddard Cancer Center became one of the first in the world to offer patients TrueBeam STx Technology - a revolutionary new radiation device capable of treating even the smallest tumors.
- Watch a Video Tour of our Radiation Oncology & Brachytherapy Center to become familiar before you come in for treatment.
- The Stoddard Oncology Nurse Navigator Program was a first in central Iowa and has proven to be a tremendous benefit for our patients and their families. Nurse navigators are patient advocates, provide education and support to cancer patients and their families before, during and after treatment.
- The John Stoddard Cancer Center offers patients and their families a wide range of services that were created to provide them with the care they need before, during and after cancer treatment. Services include a multidisciplinary cancer committee, weekly tumor board conferences, public screenings and education, support groups, on-site Look Good Feel Better coordinator, a community outreach program, oncology research and clinical trials, a Lymphedema Clinic, cancer education classes and a survivorship program.
Our philosophy of family-centered cancer care allows us to wrap all of our modern cancer treatment technology into an atmosphere that reflects the importance of having family and friends involved in the treatment process.