Pet Pal Team Requirements
- Be certified through Pet Partners or Therapy Dogs International
- Be at least one year old, domesticated, obedient, trained and housebroken
- Be with owner a minimum of six months
- Welcome, not merely tolerate, interactions with strangers
- Have proof from your veterinarian for:
- yearly "well pet" visit
- current vaccination records
- Pet Partner Animal Screening Form
- Not be fed raw meat
- Be at least 16 years old and outgoing
- Complete the St. Luke's volunteer orientation process. These steps will take approximately three hours to complete.
- Health exam, immunization and flu shot
- Background check
- New volunteer orientation
- Complete assignment training with a St. Luke's Pet Pal Mentor
- Commit to a regular monthly schedule
- Be in uniform with ID badge
If this information has your tail wagging, you are ready to become a Pet Pal Team!
Create your online account in the Pet Partners Volunteer Center – you'll need the account for each step of your registration. Once you've completed your registration, you'll log in to find additional resources, tools, and support. Thoroughly review Pet Partners' Program Requirements and Policies and Procedures.
Visit the TDI website tdi-dog.org. TDI outlines all of the testing qualifications and rules in their Testing Requirements Pamphlet. Dogs must be evaluated by a Certified TDI Evaluator as well as passing health and temperament standards.
After you've become a certified team with Pet Partners, you are ready to become a St. Luke's Pet Pal Team.
Complete the St. Luke's Volunteer application here.