You can make a difference through volunteering at UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Regional Medical Center. More than 150 individuals give their time and talents to the medical center as volunteers. Thank you!
All new volunteers will attend a general orientation and in-service training before placement in any area of the hospital. Volunteers are asked to attend an annual orientation update meeting. A screening physical and TB test as well as a back ground check are completed by the hospital.
- Clinic Courier: Volunteers drive the GRMC van to Tama and Victor clinics and pick up lab specimens, supplies and mail for delivery to the main campus in Grinnell. Volunteers must be dependable and have current driver's license. Drivers are covered under hospital insurance. Monday through Friday 3:15 p.m. -6:00 p.m.
- Patient Tray Favors: Clubs, groups, and individuals provide seasonal and holiday tray favors for patient meal trays. Minimum of 40 favors need to be made.
- Patient Activity Projects: Various projects assisting the Patient Activity Coordinator. On an as needed basis. Some projects could be worked on at home or at the hospital. Examples are preparing picture books, gift bags, or sewing neck pillows, bibs, and stuffed animals.
- Information Desk: Volunteers assist patients and visitors to the medical center at the GRMC main entrance. To greet, escort and assist patients and or visitors, as they enter the admitting area, with the desire to make their hospital experience as pleasant as possible. To help ease the workload of paid hospital staff by assisting with other general office duties. Shifts are 8:00-11:00 a.m. and 11:00-2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Mailings: Volunteers prepare bulk mailings for various hospital departments. Shifts are usually three hours. Needed as an on-call basis. May be called at last minute.
- Surgery Waiting: Volunteers serve as a liaison between the surgery department and waiting families. Shifts are 7:30 a.m. – noon and noon – 4 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- Breakfast Services Cashier: Volunteers serve as cashier in the GRMC cafeteria Monday – Friday, 7-10 a.m.
- Pediatric Orientation: Escort and assist with program, for area first graders in April and October. Time 12:15-3 p.m.
To request about volunteering opportunities, email the Volunteer Coordinator or call (641) 236-2043.