Volunteers are important members of our hospital workforce and treated as integral contributors to our success. On-Boarding as a UnityPoint Health – St. Luke's Volunteer is much like on-boarding as an employee. We want to make sure that our volunteers are vetted and trained to be successful members of our team. We are excited that you picked St. Luke's as a place to give of your time. The turnaround time from application to assignment is approximately 14 days.
If you are applying to volunteer at UnityPoint Hospice, click here for the Hospice on-boarding process.
1. Complete Online Application
If you have not yet applied to volunteer, please submit a volunteer application here.
2. Schedule an Interview and Health Screening
- Once you have submitted your application you will be contacted the next business day to schedule a 2-hour New Volunteer Meeting.
- Interview: The first half of the meeting will be an interview. This interview is a time for Volunteer Services staff to talk to you about your experience and interests, your reasons for wanting to volunteer and the times you are available to volunteer.
- Health Screening: The second half of the meeting will be a health screening which will consist of paperwork, assessment and a lab draw.
- Bring a copy of your immunization records
- If you are under 18, please bring your parent or guardian.
- The health screening and lab draw are covered by Volunteer Services
3. Complete Background Check Process
4. New Volunteer Orientation
New Volunteer Orientation (NVO) is an essential component to on-boarding new volunteers. NVO provides an overview of polices & procedures and explains how volunteers assist UnityPoint Health in creating a positive healthcare experience! We ask that you complete all the orientation components within two weeks of your volunteer interview. Once you have completed all orientation components you will be contacted within 2 business days to finalize your next steps!
Please note, if you are unable to complete NVO components online, Volunteer Services will provide accommodations.
NVO Step 1: Orientation Modules
You are encouraged to reference the Orientation slides while taking each quiz. To pass you must get 100% or 10/10. To check your score, choose "View Score" on the confirmation page, this will open the scored quiz in a separate window. If you received less than 10/10 you may choose "Edit your response" to retake the quiz. You may retake the quiz as many times as needed to receive 10/10.
NVO Step 2: Read and Electronically Sign
NVO Step 3: Set-up VicNet
VicNet is our Volunteer Information Center. This hub allows volunteers to manage their schedule, view and submit service and more!
5. Volunteer Assignment
Once you have completed the on-boarding components you are ready to be placed in your volunteer assignment. You will be contacted within two business days to set up your next steps, which includes either a scheduled assignment training or on the job training. Volunteers will be asked to come in early on their first day to receive their ID badge and volunteer shirt.
If you have any questions, please contact Volunteer Services at (319) 369-7213 or email CR_VolunteerSchedule@unitypoint.org. We are excited that you have chosen St. Luke's as a place to donate your time and talents and we look forward to having you on the Volunteer Team!