Allen Hospital Cardiovascular Center
Allen Hospital and our team of cardiologists form the only comprehensive heart care center in the Cedar Valley.
The physicians and staff are committed to the highest level of heart care for patients in Northeast Iowa while offering a wide range of services including:
- Cardiovascular and thoracic surgery (open heart)
- Cardiovascular imaging
- Advanced heart failure treatment and care
- Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP)
- Treadmill stress test
- Holter monitor and event recorder
- Heart disease prevention
- Peripheral and vascular therapies
- Sleep apnea clinic
- Cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation
Allen Hospital is often recognized as one of the top heart care programs in the region and nationwide based on fewer complications, better outcomes and patient satisfaction. Thanks to that tradition of excellence, we continue to expand capabilities that allow patients to receive specialized care close to home.
Assess Your Risk
In five quick minutes, you can learn your risk for a heart attack or stroke with this assessment from the American Heart Association. If you are at risk, we can help you get on the path to a stronger, healthier you.
Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery Clinic
Dr. Bhavik Patel leads the area's only open-heart surgery program. Experience matters, and the surgery team at Allen Hospital has completed more than 7,000 open heart procedures.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Aortic valve repair
- Mitral valve repair/replacement
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair/replacement
- Thoracic aneurysm repair
- Aortic dissection repair
- Aortic transection repair
- Atrial septal defect repair
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Thorascopic wedge resection
- Chest wall mass resection
- Chest wall fractures (ribs/sternum)
- Thorascopic sympathectomy
- Repair or diaphragmatic defect
- Diaphragmatic plication
- Pericardial window
- Abdomen aortic aneurysm repair
- Ascending thoracis aortic aneurysm repair
- Iliac stent
- Fem-pop bypass
- Subclavian stents
- Femoral endarterctomy
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Carotid body tumor resection
We offer evaluation and intervention for lung nodules at the Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery Clinic. A lung nodule is a small irregularity within lung tissue that can be round or oval-shaped and malignant or benign.
Lung nodules are often discovered through scans ordered for other conditions or because of risk factors for lung cancer, including:
- Smoking or vaping
- Exposure to radon or asbestos
- Previous radiation therapy
- Family history of cancer
Nodules measuring 6mm or greater require further testing and/or CT scans. The lung nodule clinic will facilitate the evaluation, follow up and biopsies of irregularities as clinically indicated.
Heart Care History at Allen Hospital
Waterloo's first Intensive Care Unit (ICU) opens at Allen Hospital with seven beds on the fourth floor.
A seven-bed Coronary Care Unit opens on the fourth floor opposite of the ICU. This unit was dedicated to treating patients with heart-related illnesses.
Dr. Frank Coyle joins the staff as a vascular surgeon and a driving force for the cardiac program that we know today.
The Cardiac Catheterization Lab is added. Many other services were added shortly after, including cardiac rehabilitation, stress testing and echocardiography.
The ICU is remodeled with visions of beginning an open heart surgery program.
The first open heart surgery is performed.
The Northeast Tower is completed, which is the current site of the ICU.
The 3,000th open heart surgery is performed at Allen Hospital.
Allen Hospital opens the doors to the $47 million Pauline Barrett Pavilion, which houses the emergency department and heart and vascular center. The pavilion is named for Waterloo philanthropist Pauline Barrett, who donated $5 million to the capital campaign.