Younker Rehabilitation is for the person age 14 and older who requires:
Younker Rehabilitation is an acute rehabilitation level of care and can manage complex medical needs as long as it does not impede participation in the patient's rehabilitation plan.
If the person served is cognitively unable to make decisions, a family member or legal representative has been identified to speak on the behalf of the person served prior to the decision for admission.
Experience in Rehabilitation
Younker Rehabilitation has been a leader in providing a patient-centered rehab experience since opening in 1959, successfully assisting patients and families to reach their optimal level of function following illness or injury. Please feel free to read our 2014 Outcomes Report.
- Our team of more than 60 clinicians and support staff have 500+ years of rehab experience.
- Many of our clinicians hold specialty certifications and advanced degrees.
- Every person served by Younker Rehabilitation is cared for by 1 of 3 board certified physiatrists who specialize in physical rehabilitation.
Leadership in Health Care and the Community
We strive for inter-hospital and community involvement to promote safety, prevent injury, and enhance community support for those with functional limitations. Examples include:
- A large portion of those served (more than 40%) is following a stroke. We fulfill an important role in:
- Primary Stroke Certification, a way to show our community our commitment to doing things well for people experiencing strokes.
- Stroke Peer Partner Program post-stroke volunteers to assist others who have just experienced a stroke.
- Leading and sponsoring the Des Moines Community stroke club.
- Founders of Spinal Cord Injury Association's Iowa Chapter.
- Maintain an active role with the Brain Injury Association's board and community events.
- Incorporate "Adaptive Design" concepts to continually improve services for those we serve.
Younker Rehabilitation is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
Continuum of Care Options
As part of UnityPoint Health - Des Moines and a large health care system, Younker Rehabilitation offers services to meet a variety of rehab or medical needs while you are a rehab patient and following your discharge. Your rehab may be continued in one of our many outpatient therapy sites, a network of physician offices, assistance with medical equipment or home care and numerous other options. As part of UnityPoint Health, we offer a network of health care services through-out Iowa and parts of Illinois and Wisconsin.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines can help you manage your urgent health care needs and assist you with a successful return to your home. After a stay at Younker Rehabilitation, you may require:
Our healing environment is based on opinions from persons served, the community and employees. We have designed our award-winning facility to better serve our patients and families. Every member of our team easily works and communicates with each other to meet your needs and goals.