Our Patients Come First
We welcome you as a patient and appreciate your choosing UnityPoint Clinic - Cardiology for your care. We will strive to maintain the confidence you have placed in us. We always welcome your comments and feedback on the services you receive.
Your Initial Visit
- Please arrive at 10-15 minutes before your first appointment and subsequent visits in order to be certain your insurance filing and billing information is accurate and complete. If you don't arrive early, you may need to wait past your scheduled time, or your appointment may need to be rescheduled in fairness to patients scheduled after you.
- Please bring one bottle all of your prescription medications to your clinic visits.
- We request that you also present your insurance card at each visit.
- It is helpful if you arrive 10 minutes early for your appointment to allow time for the registration process.
- Please bring all current medications in their prescription bottles to your appointments so we can verify what you are taking and how frequently.
- At least 3 days before you finish your heart medicine, call your pharmacy (not us) and have them fax a refill request form to us. We will then approve this request and fax it back to your pharmacy, or discuss the request with your pharmacist. The pharmacy will then contact you. Due to phone call volumes, please contact us for refills only when you use a mail-order pharmacy.
- You must be seen in one of our clinics at least annually if we prescribe medicine for you.
- All requests for drug samples must be discussed in a scheduled appointment with the cardiologist, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. We are not a licensed pharmacy.
- Some of the medications used in nuclear testing cannot be used later if you miss your appointment. Please provide at least 12 hours notice to us if you will be unable to keep your diagnostic testing appointment.
Please allow time to complete the following forms you may bring us, as it is important to fill them out them out accurately: family medical leave forms, disability forms, drug assistance forms, and fee or payment waivers.
Your Care Team
- Your initial consultation with be scheduled with one of our cardiologists. Subsequent follow-up visits may be with the cardiologist and/or coordinated with our physician assistant or nurse practitioner.
- When a follow-up visit is with the physician assistant or nurse practitioner, your cardiologist will work with them to follow their plan of care to meet your needs. Your physician will see you periodically as well.
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
If you must cancel your appointment for a personal reason, please notify our office 24 hours prior to your scheduled time.
- If you have an immediate life-threatening emergency, please seek care at the nearest emergency room or dial 911.
- If you have questions or concerns, please call us. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We are committed to providing cardiology services as a team effort: cardiologist, nurse practitioners, physician assistant, nurses, schedulers, technicians, and you.
- During office hours, depending on your needs, if you call with questions, our schedulers may ask our office nurses to contact you.
- If our office nurses can not answer your questions or concerns they will work with your cardiology provider or partner to assist you.
Confidentiality/Medical Record Release
- Your medical records are confidential and require your written consent in order to be released from our office except when requested by your insurance company. The UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) also requires this written release for all information requested over the telephone. This applies to any requests for medical information except your own or a dependent under 18 years of age.
- Please request all copies in advance so that we can meet your needs in a timely manner.
- We participate with most major insurance companies. Please check with your insurer as they may require preauthorization prior to provision of services.
- Co-payments are collected at each office visit if required by your insurance plan. If you have a substantial account balance, payment may be required before additional services are rendered.
- We accept cash, personal checks, VISA, Discover, and MasterCard.
- If you have any questions regarding your account, please call our Billing Office at 515-283-1221, or ask to speak with the billing specialist in our office.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines hospitals are used for outpatient and inpatient services.