Dorner - Villeneuve Simulation Education Center
The Clinical Simulation Education program began in 2009 and is part of the Clinical Professional Development Department at UnityPoint Health – Des Moines. In 2014, the program moved to the new location in the Dorner - Villeneuve Simulation Education Center.
This center resembles our current hospital, consisting of three medical/surgical rooms, ICU, emergency room, exam room and OR suite. The center is equipped with the latest AV system for video streaming and recording and high fidelity mannequins that breathe, talk and allow most of the procedures. Our mannequin patients include two adult males, one pregnant woman, 6-year-old child, 5-year-old child, 1-year-old child, newborn and premature baby. Volunteers also play the part of patients when natural conversation and emotions are required.
Simulation Education Center Staff
Wanda Goranson, is the simulation manager. She is a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) and a Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS). Other staff include: Jake Murray, Simulation Technician and Kay Huntimer, Simulation Clinical Education Specialist.
Samples of Simulation Offerings:
- Communication Simulations including giving bad news
- Informed Consent Simulations – research
- Inter-professional Mock Code – Cardiac Arrest
- Lung and ventilator simulations
- Medical Residency simulations
- Nursing Competency simulations – specific to departments
- Nurse Residency specialty track simulations
- Nursing Interview Simulation Circuits