Clinical Pastoral Education
Please note an extended unit of Clinical Pastoral Education will be held in the Spring of 2021. For more information please, please contact the Spiritual Care Department at 319-369-7347.
Who is the spiritual care team?
Our team is comprised of board certified chaplains, associates and spiritual care volunteers. We are available 24/7 to support patients and families with any spiritual need.
What we offer?
Among the services we offer are:
- Support in times of crisis, anxiety or worry
- Support in finding meaning, purpose and hope
- End-of-life support
- Support for those coping with the death of a loved one
- A listening, nonjudgmental presence
- Spiritual support for our associates
- Help in maintaining your connection with your faith community while you are hospitalized
- Support of religious/spiritual needs through worship, memorial services and rituals for specific circumstances
- Education and assistance in completing advance directives
- Sacred texts and devotional materials
Call a chaplain when...
- You are asking God, "Why?"
- You've received difficult news
- You would like prayer, blessing or a sacrament
- You are experiencing emotional distress
- You want strength, courage and hope beyond your own
Requesting a visit
During business hours, M-F, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., you can contact us directly from within the hospital by dialing 7347 or, outside the hospital, (319) 369-7347.
After hours and on weekends, please dial 7211 or 369-7211 and ask for the chaplain on-call. You may also notify your nurse of your desire to speak with a chaplain.
Are worship services available?
The Chapel is located on the first floor near the A avenue entrance. It is open 24 hours a day, and is available to visitors of all faiths for prayer and meditation.
An ecumenical service is held in the Vyrl and Martha Justice Chapel each Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. The Chapel is located in the A Avenue Lobby. Everyone is welcome. The service is also broadcast live on channel 8 for those who would like to participate from their rooms. If you have a prayer request for the service, dial 0 before 9:15 a.m. on Sunday morning. The chaplain will include it in the prayer during the service.
In addition, mid-day prayer services are offered in the chapel each Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 12:15 p.m.
A Chaplain is available 24 hours a day to address spiritual needs.
Is the Chapel just for worship?
The Vyrl and Martha Justice Chapel can also be used as a meditation area. We offer this space for the nurture of the human spirit. The Chapel is available anytime for prayer, mediation or quiet time.
"To heal sometimes, to remedy often, to comfort always" - French Proverb
If you're interested in volunteering or have any other questions concerning Spiritual Care services, please call (319) 369-7347.