Clinical Research Program
The UnityPoint Health Cedar Rapids Heart & Vascular Institute Research Program mission statement is to provide oversight, guidance and support for clinical research projects done by members of the Institute.
It’s the goal of the clinical research program to participate in trials in all areas of clinical cardiology to offer patients new and innovative therapies and devices for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis, coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atrial fibrillation, stroke prevention and peripheral vascular disease.
Benefits of Clinical Research
- Fosters intellectual curiosity amongst investigators and clinicians.
- Enhances understanding of complex disease states and therapeutic options.
- Provides greater familiarity with novel therapies prior to their widespread use and availability, thereby allowing educational opportunities for investigators and their colleagues.
- Promotes a critical understanding of the risks, benefits and appropriate uses of newer therapies free from industry and other bias.
- Enhances the understanding of complex, important and often subtle aspects of the clinical research process beyond that available in most training programs, which in turn fosters a more critical review of new research and therapies.
- Provides patients with therapeutic options beyond standard therapies.
- Allows a sense of participation, for interested patients, in the advancement of medical science.
Types of projects able to do
- Multicenter clinical trials
- Single center trials
- Investigator initiated trials
- Multicenter and single center registries