The emergency medicine team at Blank Children's Hospital specializes in meeting the unique needs of children and families during medical emergencies. We are dedicated to caring for babies, children and teens. Our emergency department was the first Level II Pediatric Trauma Center in the state, verified by the American College of Surgeons, and is open 24 hours a day to provide emergency care.
Our team recognizes how stressful an illness or injury can be, not only to your child but also to your family. You know your child best, so we will include you as we assess and treat your child. In addition to doctors and nurses, our team includes social workers and child life specialists to help you during your child's emergency. Our goal is to provide the highest level of care during an unplanned and often stressful experience. Our emergency specialists work together with pediatric specialists at Blank Children's Hospital to provide the most comprehensive care possible. For general medical questions, such as whether or not to go to the Emergency Department, please call the 24/7 My UnityPoint Nurse hotline at 800-424-3258.
If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911 or visit your nearest emergency department.
- Erik Adair, DO
- Julie Anderson-Suddarth, MD
- Debra Borcherding, DO
- Scott Davison, MD
- Sarah Doan, DO
- Tyler Fisher, MD, MHPE
- Amy Groen, DO - Medical Director
- Lydia Holm, MD
- Jill Jasper, MD
- Duane Jensen, MD
- Jodie Lee, MSN, CPNP
- Priscilla Putzier, DO
- Paul Roberts, DNP, ARNP
- Laura Socwell, MD
- Bryan Stocker, DO
About Our Emergency Department
In December 2016, the new Variety Pediatric Emergency Department at Blank Children's Hospital officially opened to the public. The new facility matches the outstanding care our patients and families receive every day.
The following are a part of the new Emergency Department:
- Dedicated hallway for pediatric patients specially designed with colors and images just for kids
- 12 pediatric treatment rooms filled with state-of-the-art technology and more space for families (one room is for isolation situations)
- Private family consultation rooms for physicians to discuss prognosis and outcomes
- 6 Express Care patient areas for pediatric patients who need care in the emergency department but can be assessed quicker to deliver care and better utilize specialty resources
- Specialized Sexual Assault Room that will provide a safe, private space where victims can receive care and the specialized services provided by the Sexual Assault Team
- Transfer Center in-house staffed by trained medical professionals to streamline transfers into our hospitals
- A pharmacy conveniently located near the Emergency Department so patients and families can obtain a prescription before they leave the hospital
- CT Scanner located within the Emergency Department
- Enhanced security measures for patients, families and staff to ensure safety
In addition to providing the best possible medical care, we also provide emotional, spiritual and social support to our patients and families through chaplain services, Child Life specialists, social workers and our volunteers.
See photos of the Pediatric Emergency Department.