UnityPoint Clinic Family Medicine and Walk-In Care - Cascade

610 2nd Avenue Northeast
Cascade, IA 52033

Current Estimated Wait:
0 hr 0 min

UnityPoint Clinic Family Medicine and Walk-In Care - Peosta

8456 Commercial Ct
PO Box 80
Peosta, IA 52068

Current Estimated Wait:
0 hr 2 min

UnityPoint Clinic Urgent Care - West

2255 John F Kennedy Road
Dubuque, IA 52002

Current Estimated Wait:
0 hr 52 min

Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation

Our team of qualified nurses help patients with heart or lung concerns. Through education and rehabilitation our programs can significantly improve the lives of patients. Read more below about each program, or watch the short videos below. 

Call Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab (563) 589-2552.

Cardiac Rehabilitation 

Cardiac Rehabilitation is an individualized and personal treatment plan which includes evaluation and instruction on physical activity, nutrition, stress management, and other health related areas.   If you have one of the following diagnoses you may be eligible to participate: heart attack, stable angina, angioplasty or stents, heart bypass or valve surgery, heart failure, or heart transplant.

There are many benefits of cardiac rehabilitation:

  • Live longer and decrease the chance of a heart attack
  • Lessen the physical and emotional effects of heart disease
  • Improve stamina and strength and help you get back to your usual activities
  • Improve confidence and well-being

Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years.

Pulmonary Rehabilitation

Pulmonary (lung) rehabilitation is an individualized exercise and education plan that is specific to your lung disease or condition.  If you have one of the following lung problems you may be eligible to participate: COPD, bronchiectasis, asthma, pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, lung surgery, obstructive sleep apnea, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and other restrictive lung diseases.

There are many benefits to participating in pulmonary rehabilitation:

  • Decrease the symptoms of lung disease or condition
  • Ability to function better in your daily life
  • Increased ability to exercise
  • Decrease symptoms and better management of anxiety and depression
  • Possibly reducing the need for admission into the hospital
Although pulmonary rehabilitation can't cure lung disease, you may notice improved breathing effort and less breathing problems. Pulmonary rehabilitation allows you to maximize limited lung function.

About the Programs

Sessions for both programs vary from two to three times per week. The length of your program is individualized based upon physician preference and your needs.  Rehabilitation programs are generally covered by most health insurance companies but check your plan to determine co-pays or other requirements. Medicare recipients are entitled to 80 percent coverage and your supplemental insurance carrier will provide the remaining 20 percent.

If you feel you could benefit from Cardiac or Pulmonary Rehabilitation, please consult with your primary care provider or specialist to obtain a doctor's referral to begin the program.