Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Variety Intensive Care Nursery is located on the second floor of Blank Children's Hospital. We are dedicated to providing high-quality, family-centered care for premature and critically-ill newborns. We offer private rooms that can accommodate 44 beds and are a Regional Level IIIB unit offering the latest in technology. We have been pioneering care for newborns since the unit opened in 1972. In 2001, we were one of the first units in the world to offer private-room care, and since that time, many NICUs across the country have followed our model.
Your gifts and donations to support our NICU are deeply appreciated! Learn more about our NICU Wish List here.
Benefits of private-room care:
- Ability to customize baby's environment to best support their level of development.
- Regulation of light and sound levels to support baby's needs and maximize development.
- Supports family involvement with baby's care.
- Privacy for families as they bond with their new baby.
- Private sleeping sofas in each room for parents to stay the night.
- Close monitoring of babies by nurses and doctors.
Services for families:
- Free meals for lactating new moms.
- Access to lactation consultants.
- Wireless internet.
- Refrigerators in rooms.
- Car seat safety classes.
- Infant CPR classes.
- Laundry facilities.
- Private shower facility.
- Additional sleeping rooms.
Philosophy of Care
The NICU at Blank Children's Hospital believes in a philosophy of care that is family-centered. We recognize the family as a constant participant in the care of each baby as they progress through their stay. We acknowledge the medical benefit of the love that families provide for their baby. We encourage and support families in participating in the daily care of their baby, recognizing the differences in skill each family member brings to the care of their child. Our clinical team, working with families, identify and provide educational support and resources to ensure continual growth and understanding of the health and developmental issues related to their baby.
We are committed to each family and their babies. We strive to provide care that will promote the optimal growth and development of each baby. Throughout your time in the NICU, we encourage and support family involvement and will help facilitate access to community services through a transition to home plan.