Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Variety Intensive Care Nursery is located on the second floor of Blank Children's Hospital. We are dedicated to providing high-quality, family-centered care for premature and critically-ill newborns. We offer private rooms that can accommodate 44 beds and are a Regional Level IIIB unit offering the latest in technology. We have been pioneering care for newborns since the unit opened in 1972. In 2001, we were one of the first units in the world to offer private-room care, and since that time, many NICUs across the country have followed our model.
Your gifts and donations to support our NICU are deeply appreciated! Learn more about our NICU Wish List here.
Benefits of private-room care:
- Ability to customize baby's environment to best support their level of development.
- Regulation of light and sound levels to support baby's needs and maximize development.
- Supports family involvement with baby's care.
- Privacy for families as they bond with their new baby.
- Private sleeping sofas in each room for parents to stay the night.
- Close monitoring of babies by nurses and doctors.
Services for families:
- Free meals for lactating new moms.
- Access to lactation consultants.
- Wireless internet.
- Refrigerators in rooms.
- Car seat safety classes.
- Infant CPR classes.
- Laundry facilities.
- Private shower facility.
- Additional sleeping rooms.