Number of patients waiting reflects the current number of patients waiting to be seen. This number changes frequently and is not exact.
The field of psychiatry and behavioral medicine addresses the mental health needs of children and adolescents. At Blank Children's Hospital, our team works to diagnose, treat and prevent emotional and behavioral problems for children from infancy through age 18. However, in some instances patients continue to be seen into young adulthood when their mental health disorder requires pediatric expertise.
We partner with UnityPoint Health – Des Moines to provide behavioral health services for children and adolescents. We also partner with professionals in the community to help meet the needs of our patients.
Services We Offer
- Psychiatry: Doctors specially trained in the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with mental health disorders.
- Counseling Center: Outpatient counseling with therapists dedicated to the behavioral health needs of children and adolescents.
- Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health Services: More intensive inpatient and outpatient services for children and adolescents facing challenges at home, school or in the community.
- Psychological Services: Pediatric psychologists trained to promote the health and psychological well-being of children, youth and their families through an evidence-based approach to treatment.
The child and adolescent psychiatry team at Blank Children's Psychiatry, a hospital outpatient department of UnityPoint Health – Des Moines – Iowa Methodist Medical Center, cares for children and teens with mental health and behavior problems. We strive to provide the highest level of care for each patient. We work to identify and understand the problems your child is having and then put together a plan for your child and family to help start the road to a healthy, normal life. We work with your child's therapist and any other specialists involved in their care and treatment.
Your Child's First Clinic Visit
Your child's first visit at Blank Children's Psychiatry will probably be the longest. Please plan to be at the clinic for approximately one hour. We ask that you arrive 15 to 20 minutes ahead of your child's appointment to complete medical history and insurance information forms. You will want to bring the following information along to your child's first appointment (unless our office has already received it):
- Referral information from your child's primary provider.
- Medical records from your child's primary provider.
- Results of any previous evaluations.