Family and Guests
Note: Anyone who feels ill or has a fever, cough, cold, cold sore, vomiting, diarrhea or rash needs to stay home. Parents who feel ill need to talk with your child's nurse to see if it's okay to visit.
Visits from family and friends can be helpful for healing. Visits may be any time, though only close family from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. After 8 p.m., use the Emergency Room entrance.
Families are partners in your child's care. Two adult family members are welcome to stay at night with your child. The care team may ask guests to step out of the room for privacy or treatments if needed.
Siblings are welcome to visit. An adult must stay with siblings. For the NICU, please ask the unit clerk about the guidelines for siblings to visit. Ask your child's care team if you have questions about what to say to siblings about the illness or injury.
Washing your hands is one of the best things you can do to protect you and your child from germs. Your child's care team will clean their hands when they enter and leave the room. Please clean your hands before and after touching your child.
The hospital, parking lots and campus are tobacco-free for safety. If you wish to smoke, you will need to leave the campus.
Places for Family to Stay
The Ronald McDonald House Charities
Blank Children's Hospital (West of campus)
1441 Pleasant Street, Des Moines, IA
Ronald McDonald House website
No fee charged but suggested donation of $10 per night
- Private and secure family bedroom offered for overnight families (2 queen beds/room)
- Meals and snacks provided for overnight families
- Shared dining, living and kitchen spaces for onsite families
- Open kitchen services for families of childrens ages newborn to 21 regardless of onsite stay (hours: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Families of childrens ages newborn through 21 who are currently being treated of hospitalized
- Hospital Staff: Please contact (515) 243-2111
- Families: Please speak to your nurse of social worker to set up your stay or visit
Learn more about the Ronald McDonald House near Blank Children's Hospital.
The Care Inn (south of Iowa Methodist Medical Center)
1300 Woodland Avenue, Des Moines
After 5 p.m. or holidays, (515) 241-6320
Cost: varies by daily or weekly
The Care Inn has rooms for patients, family, and friends. Included with the room are maid service, kitchens in the room, and coin laundry.
Two respite, or short stay, bedrooms with bathrooms are on Blank 5. The rooms are reserved each day. Ask your child's care team if you are interested.
Ask about lower rates and shuttle service when having a family member in the hospital.
Hotel Fort Des Moines
1000 Walnut Street, Des Moines
(515) 241-1191 or 1 (800) 532-1466
700 Grand Avenue, Des Moines
Quality Inn and Suites
929 Third Street, Des Moines
(515) 282-5251 or 1 (800) 903-0009