UnityPoint Health - St Lukes Imaging and Breast Screening Services
Today's Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Digital MammogramsWhen it comes to breast health, early detection is the best prevention. Women should have regular mammograms beginning at age 40, or sooner if recommended by their healthcare provider.
St. Luke's uses state-of-the-art technology, including digital mammography and 3D mammography to screen for and diagnose breast health issues. Digital mammography is the newest technology available for early breast cancer detection and has many benefits, including higher detection rates in some patients, fewer recalls and lower doses of radiation.
With conventional digital mammography, the radiologist is viewing all of the overlapped tissues of the breast in one flat 2D image. This can, in some instances, give the illusion of an abnormality even though the breast is normal, and can also mask an actual tumor due to superimposed breast structures.
By looking at the breast tissue in one millimeter slices, the radiologist can provide a more accurate assessment. 3D mammography provides a 25 percent improvement in overall cancer detection rates, finding 40 percent more invasive cancers than conventional mammography. It also means there is less chance of you being called back for a "second look" mammogram because of overlapped normal structures. The "false positive" rates are reduced by up to 40 percent.
St. Luke's: Siouxland's Breast Health Leader
St. Luke's Imaging & Breast Screening Services at Sunnybrook Medical Plaza is one of the most comfortable and convenient places to have your annual mammogram. Administered in as little as 15 minutes, your exam will be given by a certified mammography technologist specially trained in breast imaging.
After your mammogram, St. Luke's uses computer-aided detection (CAD) technology to review your mammogram images. CAD technology detects breast abnormalities on the mammogram images and marks them. Recent studies have shown the use of a CAD with screening mammography can result in earlier detection of up to 23% of cancers. All exams are then reviewed by our board-certified radiologists and results are returned in a timely fashion. Effective January 1, 2018 your mammogram result letter will inform you of your breast density category.
Services offered at UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's and Sunnybrook Medical Plaza.
Radiology & Breast Screening
St. Luke's Mammotome is used to perform biopsies using ultrasound guidance, allowing for removal of a breast abnormality without the need for open surgery. Using mammotome, a physician can guide the system into a suspicious area of the breast to gently collect the abnormal tissue for a biopsy, meaning:
- a less invasive procedure with only a small incision
- less scarring
- faster recovery time so you can return to normal activities the same day
- Learn more about mammotome technology from mammotome.com
To get a better picture of your health, the radiology team at UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's provides inpatient imaging and diagnostic screenings right in the hospital. With one-on-one attention and advanced technology, we provide a full range of exams including:
- Diagnostic radiology (such as x-ray)
- CT scans
St. Luke's radiology department also provides nuclear medicine scans, which study the body's organs and tissues and how they work. These scans can help detect cancer, heart disease, arthritis and infection.
All images are stored to a system-wide Picture Archival Communications System (PACS) for fast and convenient physician access. To learn more about radiology technology and what to expect during imaging procedures, visit Radiology Info.
St. Luke's Imaging & Breast Screening Services located at Sunnybrook Medical Plaza offers preventive outpatient procedures and breast screenings, including 3D digital mammograms, to maintain your health at any age:
- Radiology exams including x-rays, CT scans, MRI and ultrasound
- 3D | Digital Mammograms
- Bone density scans
- Breast MRI
St. Luke's specialized diagnostic evaluations not only pinpoint your condition with accuracy and speed, but serve as the first step in your road to prevention and wellness. For example, preventative digital mammograms are able to detect breast cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages - even before a lump can be felt.
All images from this center are also stored to PACS. In addition to state-of-the-art instruments and equipment, St. Luke's strives for patient comfort with warm settings, comfortable furnishings and a contemporary environment.
Although radiology exams and breast screenings can differ from procedure to procedure, most share the same basic guidelines. Here are a few tips for your next screening at St. Luke's:
- Due to the nature of the imaging process, no one is able to join patients in the room (with the exception of pregnancy ultrasounds where family members are allowed in the room.) For all other procedures, if you are bringing a spouse, friend or children, we ask that they wait in the waiting room. *All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- You should inform your physician of any medications you're currently taking and if you have any allergies, especially to contrast materials like barium or iodine.
- Women should inform their physician and x-ray technologist if there is a possibility they may be pregnant. Many tests are not performed during pregnancy as they may harm the fetus. If an x-ray is necessary, special precautions will be taken to protect the baby.
- For some imaging procedures, you may be asked not to eat or drink for several hours beforehand, especially if contrast material will be used in your exam.
- Following your exam, the hospital will receive written results within two to three business days.
Sunnybrook Medical Plaza is home to several services that UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's and UnityPoint Clinic provide in collaboration with physician partners, all in one convenient location:
- UnityPoint Clinic Family Medicine
- UnityPoint Clinic Pediatrics
- UnityPoint Clinic Foot and Ankle
- UnityPoint Clinic Urgent Care
- UnityPoint Clinic Physical Therapy
- UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Cardiology Services/Cardiovascular Associates
- UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Imaging and Breast Screening Services
- UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Infusion Services
- UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Lab Services