When to go to the ER
Not every illness or injury requires a trip to the ER. For minor illness or injury, UnityPoint Clinic has five urgent care clinics in the Greater Des Moines area.
However, certain conditions require a visit to the ER. Don't hesitate to come to the ER if you or a loved one experiences any of the following:
Symptoms of a heart attack, including severe chest pain, sweating and shortness of breath.
- Profuse bleeding or blood loss that continues even after direct pressure has been placed on the wound.
- Severe abdominal pain.
- Symptoms of a stroke, including sudden dizziness, weakness, loss of coordination, balance or vision problems.
- High fever and vomiting that continues nonstop for several hours.
- Signs of meningitis: severe headaches, neck/joint pain and stiffness, vomiting, high temperature, sensitivity to light(adults); high-pitched whimpering/crying, lethargy, fussiness, restlessness, high fever, vomiting, cold extremities, refusing food, pale or blotchy skin (babies, small children).
- Seizures lasting longer than five minutes.
- Injuries occurring from an accident or fall - intense back or neck pain, obvious compound fractures and/or dislocations of bones, deep cuts and severe burns.