Each year in the U.S., unsafe sleep environments account for approximately 3,500 infant deaths.
Safe Sleep Do's and Dont's
- Do put your baby on his/her back for every sleep.
- Do put your baby's crib in the same room as your bed (room sharing or rooming in).
- Do put your baby in a crib to sleep for naptime or bedtime.
- Do find your own way to stay awake while feeding your baby.
- Do use a firm crib mattress covered by a fitted sheet.
- Do use a wearable blanket (swaddle or sleep sack) to keep your baby warm.
- Don't put your baby to sleep on his/her side or stomach.
- Don't sleep with your baby on a shared sleep surface.
- Don't put your baby to sleep on a couch, armchair or adult bed.
- Don't fall asleep holding or feeding your baby.
- Don't use a car seat, swing, stroller or infant carrier for routine sleep.
- Don't have blankets, pillows, toys or bumper pads in the crib. Don't swaddle your baby with arms tucked in if he/she shows signs of rolling over.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines offers a number of birth and baby care classes to help new and expecting parents prepare for their new adventure. Here are some resources regarding safety and safe sleep:
Baby Safety Class
Safe Sleep for Infants
Safe Swaddling Tips