Cardiac Rehab: What to Expect
The nationally recognized cardiac rehabilitation (rehab) at UnityPoint Health – Trinity can change your life. This 12-week, medically supervised program helps you adopt new habits that support your heart health.
People completing our program typically gain strength, lose weight and lower their blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Many people no longer need medications to control blood pressure or other conditions. And they are less likely to need a future heart procedure or emergency heart care.
Cardiac Rehab at Trinity: Why Choose Us?
Doctors, nurses and rehab specialists work together to coordinate your care so that you can focus on healing. We teach you about the rehab process while you are still in the hospital. During rehab, nurses, exercise specialists and a dietitian work together, so you get the most out of each session.
Highlights of our program include:
- National recognition: Trinity is the first Pritikin Certified™ Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation (ICR) program in the Quad Cities. People completing our ICR program are less likely to need daily heart medications or additional procedures. Read John's Pritikin ICR success story.
- Safety: It's natural to be anxious about becoming physically active when you live with severe heart disease. Cardiac rehab is a medically supervised program. That means nurses and exercise specialists pay careful attention to your body's response to cardiac rehab exercise. If any concerns arise, Trinity's experienced heart team is on standby.
- Personalized rehab: We take time to get to know you, your overall health history and the activities you enjoy. For people who feel unsteady on their feet, we offer seated exercises. If you enjoy activities like gardening that use your arms, your rehab program can focus on upper body strength.
Who Is Cardiac Rehab For?
You may need cardiac rehab if you have or had a serious heart condition, such as:
- Heart attack or cardiac arrest
- Heart failure or other problems affect heart functioning
- Ongoing (chronic) chest pain
Rehab is also for people recovering from heart procedures, including:
- Heart transplant
- Stent placement
- Valve replacement
Cardiac Rehab Exercise and More: What to Expect
Our cardiac rehab center has many exercise equipment options, including treadmills, hand weights and seated (recumbent) bicycles. Internet radio and TVs provide entertainment while you exercise. And there are private changing rooms and towels for your convenience.
Here's more information:
- What to wear: You should wear comfortable clothes and supportive athletic shoes.
- Schedule: We offer a flexible schedule with seven daily options, including early morning and evening options. You can change the days or times, but you must come three times a week.
- Your first visit: This session is all about getting to know you, your needs and goals. We perform an assessment and show you around the center, so you'll be all set for your next session.
- Other visits: While you exercise (for about an hour), nurses and exercise specialists:
- Monitor your heart
- Provide exercise instruction
- Evaluate your progress
- Answer questions
- Education: Sessions also include information about heart-healthy living, like eating the right foods and managing stress.
Connect with a member of our cardiovascular team by calling us at 309-779-5340.